Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

• what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM

No one has to worry about the quilt police, they are quite busy at my house. I have cut away at lumpy stuff, hammered, starched, ironed and even said a bad word or three to get a quilt done. I smoke outside but I don't always wash my hands when I come back in......shhh.......I have used fabric from every place that sells fabric even some that was bought before we moved to Texas and that was in 1974......I could'nt tear it so i figured it was still good. This is just great, finally I can be myself.
    Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 AM

I don't do anything with the Quilt Police because I don't tell them where I live. If they don't know my address, they can't find me!
    Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 AM

a friend on another board posted this: how true - "is this going to someone who sews? if not, then she probably won't notice"
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 AM

I have done most of the above. I once made a kit and ruined a bit of the fabric. I needed one or two squares of one of the fabrics and did not have enough. I took some of the larger pieces of scrap and sewed another scrap to the edge., pressed it and then cut the squares out. The sewn on piece was in the seam allowance. It was a bit bulky but I made it work. I use Rotary blades far beyond their useful life. I don't change my needle near enough. I save way to many scraps. I start too many things when I have not finished WIP.
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:14 AM

Everything!
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 AM

I always use clear monofiliment thread on top and an Ecru-colored thread on the bottom of my free-motion quilting. I always pick backing fabric that the Ecru thread will blend with. (If you can't see my stitches, the quilting looks fabulous!) All of my piecing is done with the same neutral beige/grey thread.

Three kinds of threads in the same colors... that's it. I'm too cheap to go out and buy different colored threads to match each color of fabric in the quilt.
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 AM

You make me feel so much better! The Quilt Police would simply be told where to go, same as the fashion police. I sew to get I want, anyway. I've done most of that stuff once, and will probably keep on doing it. I read somewhere that if a quilt doesn't have a mistake, the devil gets into it.

About hammering seams - tailoring has a tool called a clapper just for that purpose!

Mixing poly with cotton? I've never seen and gingham except for poly/cotton blend. Even from years ago. I'd like gingham for some baby quilts. I've done heirloom and had to use batiste from Hancocks rather than cotton batiste.
    You can put those blocks in quilts, too.
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 AM

This thread is so funny. But, it sure has made me feel that I am not so bad afterall. If, I like it and am ok with a quilt when finished, then ok off to another. I like fast and fun. I HATE to rip, so I will do whatever it takes not to. I am pretty darn good at making it work/fit. Binding by machine, you bet ya. Squaring up blocks? Only if I really have to.
    Someday I will learn how to square up a quilt and finish off the end of the binding correctly. I have made many quilts and no one who received one has complained yet. But, if the quilt police show up, I am in big trouble.
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by elizajo
    When I was selecting fabrics for my first big quilt, the Quilt Police at the LQS informed me most emphatically that I could not mix prints with cream backgrounds with those that were white. I just said "Hmm, really?" , then bought what I wanted. Every scrappy quilt since then has both white and off-white fabrics.
    Isn't it just fun to buck the system of "you can't"? Those words are music to my ears. More often than not, I can if I want to!
    Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 AM

What do I do that would bring the Quilt Police? Easy. I offer them room and board for free...except here they're called the Quality Control Department.

They live in my studio, are strictly barred from the rest of the house, and every so often I bring them something to stamp "Rejected" on. I take those items back, fix them, and all is well. It makes the QC people feel worthwhile and keeps my feet firmly planted in reality. I wouldn't ever want to quilt without them.