Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

• what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by nitza
    Thank you I feel so much better now. I am a new quilter and always see other peoples work as perfect and unhappy with my skills. Now I'm going to do more sewing and less appoligizing.
    Yes, me too!! I've been so intimidated by thinking all of you did such beautiful error free quilts!! Thank you, thank you! My husband even thanks you!! He is tired of me pointing out every little flaw when he says the quilt is beautiful.
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    When all else fails and I can not trim a seam well enough to get it to flatten, I hit it with a hammer, works every time
    Originally Posted by Nathan's Mimi
    Just made me giggle..I do that too!
    I actually saw Fons & Porter do this on one of their shows a few years ago!
    Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 AM

my SIL told me many years ago that the goal of quilting was completion not always perfection. I have held earnestly to that idea.
    Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk
    I always quilt to my tastes, always take every shortcut I can think of, Always do the binding on the machine, sometimes I miscut and will sew a scrap on to make it the correct size. I give my quilts to family. If they like it, good, if not, do not tell me and just put it in the closet.

Just gave my BIL one on Thursday, a valor quilt as he is retired Army, retired educator and has been honored by the office of the President of The United States of America as the Outstanding Citizen. Told him he could have this quilt one of two ways: 1...He could pay me $450 and he could say bad things about it, point out where I missed a point or seam or whatever. 2...He could have it with my love if he did not do all these things and it would not cost him anything. He thanked me profusely for the quilt and told me how great he thought it was, so its his.

I appreciate all Veterans and thank them for service to our country.

delma
    What a great BIL! My appreciation and thanks for his service as well as the countless others. Thank you all...
    Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Not one of my quilts are perfect, they reflect me and how I am.....
    this is a great site.
    http://lavieenrosie.typepad.com/lavi...ect-quilt.html
    Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Not one of my quilts are perfect, they reflect me and how I am.....
    this is a great site.
    http://lavieenrosie.typepad.com/lavi...ect-quilt.html

Thanks for this link! It really puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Nothing I make is perfect. I strive to at least make it look good. My MIL is the most pickiest, critical person I know BUT. . . everything I have ever gifted her gets Oohs and Ahhs and she just keeps telling me over and over, "you do such beautiful work". She proudly shows off everything to all of her local friends (who can be on the snobby side too). She mails pictures to her sister and her friends that live out of state. I can always see my flaws but that is because I know they are there and that I just didn't feel like ripping out that crooked seam or I didn't want to fix it so I didn't lose my points. I know that no matter how flawed I see my projects, someone else just sees it for what it is: a beautifully made item made by me especially for them!
    Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Glad to know I'm in good company. At one time or another, probably done one of just about any of the above. Biggest one is attaching binding by machine, followed by "tugging" to get seams to match
    Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk
    if my seams don't match up, i color the fabric with a sharpie or magic marker.
    i rotary cut towards myself instead of away from myself.
    i don't always iron the fabric before i cut my fabric. i often see bowed strips but i "make it work"
    i only change my needle if it breaks.
    WOW, I better watch out for them then because I do about all of these. Some of my squares that I have cut are not exact, but close to it and I figure during the Civil War they didn't have rotary cutter and the things that we have now to make things SO much easier.
    I roll my squares of 24 and that way when I get to them the seams are already folded down without ironing. I always cut towards myself and my one finger is still paying for that. lol I have not had bowed strips yet, crossing my fingers.
    I am glad that I seem this post.
    Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 AM

I cut all 1,700+ pieces of the Double Wedding Ring quilt I am working on now with scissors. Using very patterned and bright colored fabrics. Do I hear knocking on my door? If so, I will hand them a broom and a dish rag. They can clean house while I go about sewing and having fun MY WAY!
    Oh and bindings...I love to sew on bindings. Maybe I should start a binding business. LOL
    Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 AM

As a newbie here, I feel right at home. I have been very close to getting a quilting ticket MANY times. A few years ago I joined an online quilting challenge. We were to choose a technique we had never done before. I chose the curved seams of the drunkards path. I am also a "match-y match-y girl" as in all my fabrics have to be perfectly color matched. The fabrics I received as part of the challenge were horrible. No two fabrics would ever have crossed my doorstep and no two even were close to "going together". But I did the challenge...doing the best I could. A small wall hanging using the 45 five in squares and it turned out beautiful. I am proud of my seams and putting together these horrid fabrics. Now, if I like the fabric I get it. Binding sewn to the back by hand? Show me the stone where that rule is carved in.
    Sew on with pride oh happy quilters, perfection or not....we are making the heirlooms of the future.
    Leave donuts by the front door, the quilt police will not get past them!