Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

• what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM

I love this thread ! I thought I was the only one who did these things..whew...! So happy to hear I have lots of company! I am quilty .. I never prewash fabrics..my quilts/squares are never perfectly squared.. I never follow a pattern..I make up my own design..usually as I go along.. I never change my needle or my rotory blade..until it won't work any more...ha.. oh the list goes on and on... and my seam ripper and I have become best friends ! Let's just say, I try hard.. but everything I make is make with lots of love, and usually gifted.. is that the quilt police I hear at my door?? no... they will never find me...hee..hee
    Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM

If the quilt police came to my house when I was making a quilt, they would have a heart attack & I could go on and continue quilting the way I wanted! haha
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM

I had to piece the backing. 3 big giant "strips". Well, I was putting said backing on the frame yesterday (First time I've ever used the frame too... so glad I did, because I would have missed this) and saw that I sewed a tiny bit of flap into the seam. Seriously, it would not have been noticed if I'd basted it!! And once it'd been quilted, it would have looked like a regular ole pucker. So I picked that seam out at that spot and I used Iron-on seam stuff to patch it with a matching scrap! You know, I forgot to check that when I took it off the frame yesterday.... Oh well, I'm sure it will be ok!!
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM

when I put blocks together they do not always match for the pattern like the way my points don't always meet. I figure if yu are looking that close you don't get another quilt. LOL....
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Guilty of all above as charged.
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Wow.. i did not realize how much I really fit in. I thought all your guys were perfect. What a relief! I don't think I have ever sewn 1/4"seam - I grew up in metric system so i just use the width of whatever foot I have attached - nobody ever noticed. I ALWAYS machine sew my binding, and I rarely if ever baste anything. Some may say i am lazy, whatever. If quilting is your hobby my bet is you are anything but lazy. I am all for cutting corners, pun intended - there, now quilting police come and arrest me.
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 AM

What a pleasant after-church surprise for me this afternoon. I turned on my computer, went straight to this site, and have been sitting here, entertained, for an hour or more.

I am guilty of all of the above, and a few more, if there are any. My thought is, "what does a 5-year-old know?", or anyone else that I love who has one of my "special only for her or him" quilts.... I sometimes see something that I have done wrong, but I am good a shrugging it off, because the washer and dryer will take care of that one....

Love to you all now that I am back after a busy summer of beach, lake, parks activities with the grandkids.....
    Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I pay someone to do my binding. YES I do!!!! The owner of my quilt shop did the binding on my last quilt. I hate binding. And I just recently found out about squaring up your quilt. Never knew it before! Oops!!! And I just started squaring up all my pieces before adding them to my other pieces. Now I'm actually squaring up my blocks. I've not been doing this for years and years. And I don't wear safety gloves until I slice my fingers and then I wear them for a few days only. And not all of my blocks are 12 1/2". I have to steam the h*ll out of them to stretch them to fit. And I have a project in every corner of my sewing room right now and I haven't sewn in 2 weeks. But I keep ordering online. I keep the packages coming.
    Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 AM

I loved reading all of these posts. They made my day. Thanks to all, LOL. I feel better.
    Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM

Y'all make me laugh. I'm guilty of all of the above--well, except the hammering, and only because I've never thought of it. It's nice to know that when I go to quilt jail, I will have lots of good company.