Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what to do when it's a little off? >
  • what to do when it's a little off?

• what to do when it's a little off?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
    k I think I will make another block and send her both blocks, that way she doesnt have to use the wonky one if she doesn't like it.
    Good idea but c'mon lets face it no one is perfect and if anyone is really expecting perfection when it comes to a swap I think they are being very UNrealistic.. Its a swap.. beginner AND expert quilters join in, no one in any level can be excluded.. Plus the joy of joining one is being surprised.. Seriously if the swapper IS expecting perfection she/he should make their own ..

But hey that just my opinion and I'm a rebel..
    Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 AM

I messed up a block on my last swap, a quilters cache paper pieced windmill, so I made 2 more, and sent all 3, with a note explaining what happened, and telling her to use/not as she sees fit. She pmed me a lovely note, she loved the incorrect one more than the correct ones.Hope this helps in some way.
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    k I think I will make another block and send her both blocks, that way she doesnt have to use the wonky one if she doesn't like it.
    Good idea but c'mon lets face it no one is perfect and if anyone is really expecting perfection when it comes to a swap I think they are being very UNrealistic.. Its a swap.. beginner AND expert quilters join in, no one in any level can be excluded.. Plus the joy of joining one is being surprised.. Seriously if the swapper IS expecting perfection she/he should make their own ..
    IBut hey that just my opinion and I'm a rebel..
    I agree, swaps are open to all even beginners. If they want perfect let them make their own. I love to get any block, because they are usually made with love, so wonky or not I love them.
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:35 AM
    Power Poster

no one is perfect, and the swaps are open to all skill levels, i think it is very sad that anyone would participate in a block swap and then complain to the hostess about blocks not as perfect as they think they should be...how rude! ranks right up there with complaining that you used walmart fabric instead of quilt shop fabric.
    you should do your best and use the best quality fabric you can afford and
    THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH! if you are happy with the block i think you should use it.
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt

But hey that just my opinion and I'm a rebel..
    If it is in the MIDDLE of the block what does it matter as long as the finished size is correct. People that swap should remember that not all "swappers" are expert sewers, that is how many gain confidence and skills, by doing. Swappers should be aware "considerate" of the people that want to enjoy the experience of swapping and are doing their best. I joined the siggy swap (my first) and only realized after sending my blocks off, I was supposed to heat set the signatures. Only from reading on the board afterwards was I aware of this. I would maybe try one more and if I couldn't do better than the first try, I would still send it on. We learn by doing. Stepping off of my soap box now...
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

You never know if one of the quilt police receive it! Too risky. I haven't tried the starch method but I would not send that block if you are questioning it.
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM

To me, the biggest issue on a swapped block is WHERE is it off? If the block doesn't meet the size requirements then don't send it. If you have something that is not perfect on an inner piece of the block but it is square and correct size the question becomes if the error is really obvious.

I must be the quilting police. I'm an absolute beginner and don't know how to deal with blocks that aren't big enough or square. On that same note, I always try to send the best block I am capable of making. Sometimes that means making a second block (it may or may not be the same pattern) and sending both.
    Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM

{quote}"On that same note, I always try to send the best block I am capable of making."

I actually like the block that is a little wonky (I just think it looks cool)over the second one that I did that was correct, They both are square and to size for the swap, so I am going to send her both and she can use both if she'd like, or use the one she likes best lol
    Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
    Power Poster

Maybe the question to ask oneself is:

How would I feel about receiving this block?
    Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 PM

k my swap partner has received her blocks now so I can post a picture of my wonky one lol

this is the one that was off on the inner squares
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]126983[/ATTACH]

this is the replacement one I did, but I did send her both blocks
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]126984[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-126978.jpe   attachment-126979.jpe