Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you carry your notions in? >
  • What do you carry your notions in?

• What do you carry your notions in?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I actually use a leftover zippered case for bank deposits from my old shop. It holds rotary, small scissors, pincushion, extra needles, pen/pencil, other do-dads. The rulers I carry in my cutting board carry, shown below.

Jan in VA
    Attached Thumbnails cutting-mat-carrier.jpg  
    Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Walmart has a tool box in the craft dept for 9.99. Looks like a tackle box. I got my niece one and she likes that she can keep her shears/scissors and other notions in it. Lot of patterns on YouTube for totes free and many you can download. When you have time you can lay the notions out and create your own. It's fun to just look and see what you think will work for you.
    A number of ladies who come to weekly classes carry their notions and threads in one of these tool boxes which open to another shelf and base. Think tessagin is describing same.
    Old 07-05-2016, 10:52 PM

I also use a bionic gear bag. When it is unzipped, it opens out as a tray so everything is easily at hand. I made one for my travel toiletries as well. It's a fun pattern to make.
    Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 AM
    Power Poster

I don't go out often but I use one of the Clinique free bags I received back in the old days.
    Old 07-06-2016, 02:57 AM

I purchased a small craft tote from Hobby Lobby. It sort of looks like a garden tote but it has lots of pockets for bobbins, thread ripper and an open area for larger objects, including my foot pedal. If you search Craft Organizer at www.hobbylobby.com, they have a pink and gray one on sale.
    Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 AM

I have a wonderful mid sized Lonberberger basket with a handle. It is not too heavy and holds all of those must haves easily. I keep it close by when sewing at home and it is always ready to go when I go to a retreat, quilt work day or craft night at church. I NEVER unpack it. That way I lose my scissors less, don't misplace my extra spool of thread or that binding tool that seems to hide under other things on the cutting table. I also have a darling small heart shaped zipper pouch given to be my someone on this BOARD (wish I knew who) that I use for my needles, crane scissors,cheater glasses and spool of thread for hand sewing my bindings.
    Old 07-06-2016, 03:29 AM

A school pencil box holds most of what I want to take to a workshop. Among other things that I purchased at an estate sale was a "bag" created from a placemat. Fold it in half and install a zipper around. There are multiple zip-loc bags stitched through the bottom in the center of the bag so that all is contained within the bag. Cute idea and very functional.
    Old 07-06-2016, 03:30 AM

I have a vintage train case with a tray. It's big enough to carry all the essentials and a small iron. It also holds any fabric or other supplies I might need. I try to have two of everything so I don't forget anything at home.
    Old 07-06-2016, 03:54 AM

I use a Sew Together bag for most of my notions... (it's quite similar to the Bionic Gear bag posted by Dolphyngyrl.) I'm amazed how much I can fit into it, and love having just about every one of my quilting tools along with me.
    Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I actually use a leftover zippered case for bank deposits from my old shop. It holds rotary, small scissors, pincushion, extra needles, pen/pencil, other do-dads. The rulers I carry in my cutting board carry, shown below.

Jan in VA
    Jan, I love this idea. Do you wrap the side(s) before or after the duct tape?