Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do you do with all of your hard work? >
  • what do you do with all of your hard work?

• what do you do with all of your hard work?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 PM

All of the above.
    Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM

I've done dozens and dozens of lap quilts for charity thru our quilting guild at church. Luckly I don't have to finish them, just do the tops (the fun part). I have just finished two graduation quilts for grandsons who will be graduating the end of this school year. I've given a lot away but still have a pretty good pile of them in the "sewing closet". When I learn how to post pictures, I'll do show and tell.
    Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 AM

I enjoy making the quilts and giving them to family. There never seems to be a shortage of who wants them.

My sons are always after me to sell them. I still have my cedar
    "Hope Chest" so I am adding labels for the future to my finished quilts and storing them in there.

I hope to be around for years to come don't get me wrong. In my "Hope Chest" are quilts with labels for the future, such as graduations, weddings and such. Now all they need is to be boxed, wrapped and a bow added.
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 AM
    Power Poster

All of the above. I have given many away. I have made at least 6 for my husband, about 3 or 4 for my sister, pluse there are friends in several states who have quilts by my hand. I also have kept many for myself. Some I use, and others are in the cedar chest. I have three quilt racks for display and a wall hanging in the living room.
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 AM

A few I make for myself and keep. Most are made for the grand daughters. They usually grab them up as soon as they are finished. Everyone in the family gets a crib quilt for a baby shower gift. And I use my scraps to make/donate to the Linus Project. And have recently made a quilt for "Quilts for kids".
    Making crib/lap size quilts don't take as long or use as much fabric. So I can make more quilts. There always seems to be someone who needs a quilt :) Happy Sewing!
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 AM

[quote=GrannyHanaDa]I
    I still have my cedar
    "Hope Chest" so I am adding labels for the future to my finished quilts and storing them in there.
    quote]

Quilts stored in a cedar chest MUST be protected from the inside wood, it WILL stain the quilt. At least put them each in a washed pillow case, better yet would be to use acid free tissue paper to put between the folds. Also refold them at least once a year.
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 AM

I love to take a pic for my own memories and I gift everything else. It gives me joy to create something and so many others I know don't do anything crafty at all so when they get a gift its a special treat for them too. I have 100 more ideas of what I want to do then there is time to do them. As soon as I complete one and check it off the list three more show up saying.. make me make me. If I kept it all my house would be jam packed to the ceiling and maybe that is not a good look?
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

[quote=brushandthimble]
    Originally Posted by GrannyHanaDa
    I
    I still have my cedar
    quote]

Quilts stored in a cedar chest MUST be protected from the inside wood, it WILL stain the quilt. At least put them each in a washed pillow case, better yet would be to use acid free tissue paper to put between the folds. Also refold them at least once a year.
    I lined my cedar chest with some nice 1/4 inch thick plastic pieces that Jim gave me. It isn't fancy but it protects my quilts from touching the wood.
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 AM

We must be on the same wave length. I have recently started making quilts for the future as well. Although my grand daughters only 8 and 13. I have started quilts for their wedding.
    As you said, we all plan to be here for a long time. But- I want to make sure they have some of my quilts when the time comes. Its easy to just think about a project for this week. But necessary to think farther into the future. :)
    Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Tell hubby that the joy is in the making of the quilt. There is always a place to give it, sell it, display it, stay warm under, cuddle up with it. And grandchildren are always looking for another one of Gram's quilts. Friends need one. People in other countries as well as the USA need them. And on and on.