Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do you do with all of your hard work? >
  • what do you do with all of your hard work?

• what do you do with all of your hard work?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!! I've given all mine away except for a lap quilt that was the first thing I tried to hand quilt, it was mine for practicing. I have started making myself a quilt, but it's on the back burner since I have so many other ones that need to be done for family and friends.
    Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 AM

I've been quilting for 13-14 years and everyone in the family has at least one quilt. Most of the little kids in our congregation has a quilt. Now I'm working on "heirloom" quilts for my grandchildren for when they get married. These are hand appliqued and more time spent in making them. It was 10 years before I actually slept under one of my own quilts! Now I have 3 for me, and others to give away. A few years ago, I finished 12 for charity; a domestic violence house. And I did 6 for Childrens Services. We adopted a little baby and I saw the need for these children. I am currently making more for CS. I should be able to give 8-10 this year. I quilt because I love it and it keeps me busy. The people who get the quilts seem to like them, too. Even if I didn't have anyone to give them to, I would still quilt. When I "Go" my daughters can figure out what to do with them! And all the fabric! LOL

Welcome to the Board; it's the greatest!

YTQ
    Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM

I can't even get them done before someone wants one. I just don't know how to get ahead. From day one someone all ways wants one like yesterday. I have 3 to do yet that I haven't even got to yet. I really just got started doing quilts for pass time. But so far haven't had any pass time!
    [email protected]
    Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM

I usually give them away.. but lately I have made quite a few that I am going to practic my machine quilting on. And see what happens - I have many on the beds and others the kids have first dibs on and they will get the ones they want and others will go to charity and some the cats will inherit. Have fun making them and see what happens.
    Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 AM

When I posted earlier, I forgot to tell y'all about keeping track of the quilts I have made. At first I didn't, but then my mom said she always took a picture and wrote it in a book. I thought that was a great idea, so now I do the same thing. I enter
    1. when I started it
    2.when I finished it (and sometimes there is a loooong time between the two!)
    3. who I gave them to,and the occasion, if there was one.
    4. I always put a label on with the date it was finished, who made it, and leave room to put in who it went to and why. Someday, someone will say, "that is a lovely quilt" Where did you get it?" And if there is no label as to who made it and when, then that part of you is lost. Leave a legacy, girls and guys.
    YTQ
    Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM

YTQ, thank you for the info on documenting your quilts. I know I should do something like that, I am lucky if I remember to take a picture. Some of best work went to others and I forgot to take pictures. Part of the problem I have no place to hand or lay the quilts to get a really good picture. I have kept a log of each quilt that goes on my HQ16. 195 and counting.
    Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 AM

Maybe just lay them on the bed and take several different angle shots. DH put a line above our garage door for me so I could pin them up with clothes pins and take a pic. Before that I pinned them up on the large living room window, on the traverse rod over the drapes. During summer I have hung them on the clothes line to snap a pic. Once I hung one over the railing on the deck (it's quite a drop to the ground) and went around and snapped a pic. I have laid them on the living room and quilt room floor, pinned them (with T-pins to a wall, over pictures, hung smallish ones across a couple rolls of batting with T-pins,. Laying them on the floor gets a little tricky. If you take a pic from the end of the quilt, it doesn't tun out so good, so I stand on a stool or even the table once, to get a good shot. Maybe some one else has some more ideas..............
    Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Don't ya love these logical people!
    We have 3 children, a lot of grandchildren, 11, and great grandchildren, 9, so that took care of a bunch of quilts. I still need to make one for a grandson. I have made a several for cousins and friends and also made several quilts for kids, from downy.com. I use one short quilt from a beginner's class in place of a window cover. There is one lovingly folded in the closet waiting for Spring to put on the bed and one is on the bed, and one is on a hanging quilt rack with a couple antique quilts from my great grandmother. I don't plan to stop anytime soon.
    Just start and see where quilting takes you! You may be a designer of fabric or quilts or a writer of quilting books. Or very happy with having that special time to quilt for the special people in your life. There is always someone who needs to be wrapped with a quilt made with love.
    You might even make one for hubby!
    Above all, enjoy!
    Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dgreen
    I am having the best time learning from all of you. My husband asked me a very "man-ish" question when I was discussing wanting to pursue this hobby: "So what are you gonna do with all these quilts you're gonna make?" It got me to thinking....what do you all do with most of your quilts? Do you actually use them, wash them, enjoy them, give them away, or "save" them because they're too precious to mess up? Do you display them? Thought it would be fun to know. :D
    I make them in the main to sell for dog rescue in USA------www.englishtoyspanielrescue.com ,they have large vet bills and have taken in 34 in a bad state from a puppy mill in the last 18months, all work is done by me and them without ANY charges [except vet bills]
    Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Most of the quilts that I have made have been baby quilts for my nices and nephews. Have also given a couple as Christmas gifts (they are only afghan size). I still have a very large Grandmother's Flower Garden top to quilt. Need to find someplace to lay it out to layer it.