Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with blocks you love- but you dont like pattern when its all put together? >
  • What do you do with blocks you love- but you dont like pattern when its all put together?

• What do you do with blocks you love- but you dont like pattern when its all put together?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
    Use it on the back! Either a whole pieced unit or individual blocks along with some yardage would look great! :)
    That's a great idea too! I am tempted to try more "sample" blocks if I know the blocks can be utilized in some manner. At $9 or $10/yd, fabric is dear!
    Old 09-29-2009, 03:06 PM

Sometimes just using sashing between the blocks can make a difference too.
    Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm not there yet, but my style would be to design the whole thing on paper first so I could see where it's going before I start quilting.

What I'm wondering is, could you tell us what the block pattern is or show us what you have and what you dislike? Then it might be easier to offer suggestions.

One thing I can think of is making alternating blocks. You can either put block-sized squares between each of your blocks to break up the pattern, or alternate yours with some other block.

Or maybe make a medallion quilt with a central block surrounded by concentric borders, where each is a different block design.

If you look at the Pictures section, people have made quilts with different blocks running through them, often not in a specific pattern. So you may see four Friendship Star blocks in random places on the quilt, 5 nine-patches, etc. Here, Quiltgranny's avatar is a great example of what I mean. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/26181.page
    Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM

I was also going to come back and say you can alternate the blocks with another one, it can totally change the look of the finished quilt!