Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with finished quilts? >
  • What do you do with finished quilts?

• What do you do with finished quilts?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    ... when you made them "just because"?
    I call it my "therapy" and I don't have a particular person in mind off it goes to one of the charities my quilting groups and church support.

If I give it to charity then I do deduct the cast of materials for tax purposes. Not labor, darn.

Of course some of my friends would say I need more therapy.

ali
    Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Funny you asked that...I just went thru piles and sorted to give to all the little nieces and nephews who's parents I'll see Sat. at a family gathering...12 in all...Can't wait to get rid of them, taking up too much room. I'm also going to send a few to friends grandkids.
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by MYWR
    put them over the couch, or at the end of a bed. One of the best thing I ever did - was send a quilt with no home - that I really liked to a friend of mine who i hadn't seen for a while. . . just becasue. she called and was crying - she is a single mom - and said this was the first thing she had ever gotten that didn't show up on a creidt card bill - It was a different type of feling - not like when you make something for charity and give it to someone who you don't know. This wil be a cherished memory for both of us. And - . . . I just did it !
    I really like this idea. :)
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Give away. Some in bins looking for homes!!
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 PM

as send a quilt with no home - that I really liked to a friend of mine who i hadn't seen for a while. . . just becasue. she called and was crying -
    I had the same emotion when someone gave me some baby stuff --a Polish lady. It was just about the first ever "thing" that was given to me--the 'rich American' by a Polish lady. It touched my heart that day and I cried and cried. Most of the time we were expected to be the givers.
    Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM

put them over the couch, or at the end of a bed. One of the best thing I ever did - was send a quilt with no home - that I really liked to a friend of mine who i hadn't seen for a while. . . just becasue. she called and was crying - she is a single mom - and said this was the first thing she had ever gotten that didn't show up on a creidt card bill - It was a different type of feling - not like when you make something for charity and give it to someone who you don't know. This wil be a cherished memory for both of us. And - . . . I just did it !
    What a wonderful story, gave me a warm fuzzy.
    Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
    Power Poster

All my quilts are given away or auctioned for charity. I just keep pictures of them with info on who the made a home with!
    peace :D
    Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Mine tend to float around the house. Or if DD takes a liking to it, it migrates to her house.
    Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 PM

I visited with a friend of mine in May and showed her pictures of some of the newest quilts I had made. This one is for...........and that one is for............She chuckeled and asked me where was hers? (Mud on face.) Karen was the one that chaffeured me around when I bought my new machine, Karen was the one that took me to purchase fabrics and got me to all of my doctors appointments when I was ill. How could I have forgotten about Karen? :-(
    Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 PM

The ones I give away I made for that purpose. I fold them and stack them in the sewing room. I just enjoy having the around to use when needed. Sometimes I don't want them used and keep them nice and new!

FREE Quilting Newsletter