Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s??? >
  • What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

• What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM

That is what my one charity group uses to make polyester lap quilts for nursing homes and the needy. We fold the backing onto the front and stitch it down and then tie the top
    Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Use them, or give them to people who make charity quilts. I am a Project Linus Coordinator and Poly-cotton/polyester stands the rough use and laundering they get. If no-one wants them for that make them into durable Pets beds, the local Cats/Dogs Homes I am sure will be so pleased to get them.
    Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 PM

A church gave me yards and yards and still more yards of this stuff. I have taken the pastels and some of the darker and matched them together in a split rail fence quilt. I always sandwhiched the white in between two other colors, put the blocks into a quilt top, added the batting and backing (polyester knit) and embroidered designs on it with the embroidery machine. If you choose coordinating colors the polyester makes a prettier quilt than the 100 percent cotton quilts. I think they are prettier because polyester has a shine to the fabric. I give them to children at a homeless shelter. They love them. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would show you what can be done with polyester knit. It looks to me like you don't have enough though. I have 4 racks of 4 shelves each of the polyester knit.
    Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 PM
    Power Poster

http://ashbyfamilyblog.blogspot.com/...#axzz21xOo5zWM
    One of these might be nice to make.

My hubby just said he needs a slip cover for his truck seat - I'm thinking that would be nice out of that stuff.
    Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by karen924
    Cut it into strips and braid it into a rug for your sewing area. My Mom made a few of them back in the day. The polys are indestructible and wash well. Sorry its not a quilty answer, but that's what I'd do.
    I recently discovered crochet rag rugs and have been kicking myself up and down the road because I gave away the heavy double knits that were in my stash. BTW, I made and hand quilted (don't do it!) a red, white and blue rolling star quilt in '76 for the Bicentennial. It doesn't look traditional but it looks good. I think most of the trouble with the poly double knit quilts and comforters was and is color. Quilters made lots of comforters locally from sewing factory scraps which were insanely cheap. They were mainly just squares put together hit-or-miss and mostly they were a MISS. But it was the 1960-70s and the colors were often garish. (See the pinks in the picture.)
    Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM

People that make donation quilts would love to get it. Ask me how I know. LOL
    Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Call around to different churches to see if they have a sewing group. We make shorts and dresses for children in foreign countries and we would like to receive such fabric. These groups depend on donations.
    Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM

My granddaughters & I just made 10 pet beds for the animal shelter using that type of double knit for the cover & stuffing them with fabric scraps.
    Old 07-28-2012, 03:33 PM

I used this about 30 years ago to make quilts for camping. 2 of them are still around. Had to retie in a few places, the the 'steel' polyester is still holding up. they are used for furniture wraps, etc.
    Old 07-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Sew pieces about pillowcase size, put all scraps from sewing into the case, fill 2/3 full, zip closed and donate it to homeless animals for beds. Donation, cleaning out space, all in one!