Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with Minky scraps? >
  • What do you do with Minky scraps?

• What do you do with Minky scraps?

Old 06-04-2020, 02:03 AM

Default What do you do with Minky scraps?

I have been gifted a kitchen size trash bag of minky scraps of an assortment of colors. I plan to use some for machine applique. The size scraps range from the smallest size of 5" square to a 1/4 yard. Please share your thoughts on what projects would work with minky scraps. Thank you!
    Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 AM

I will be watching for ideas! I backed a t shirt quilt with minky fabric. My sewing room looked like an explosion of "dandilion seeds" were blown everywhere! I put a layer of newsprint between machine and fabric as I sewed with it.
    Old 06-04-2020, 05:51 AM

You can appliqué pieces of Minkie to items for babies or for the fidget lap quilts for adults with Alzheimer's.
    Old 06-04-2020, 02:25 PM

I really like to use minky for quilt backings for kids especially and for adults so I have a fair amount of left overs. I used some combined with other left over 5 inch squares for a border on a panel quilt. It was a nice dress up for a kid's donation quilt. Included some minky sqares in a rag quilt for DD. It doesn't fray in a rag quilt, but when combined with the flannel and cotton squares makes a nice feeling rag quilt. I have seen it used in a strip quilt. You could combine it with strips of flannel or just use all minky, depending what you have.
    Old 06-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Thought I'd try to show you a picture of the donation quilt I mentioned.
    Attached Thumbnails img_1007%5B1097%5D.jpg  
    Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rilene
    You can appliqué pieces of Minkie to items for babies or for the fidget lap quilts for adults with Alzheimer's.
    I totally agree! Also consider stuffing a dog or cat bed with smaller pieces.

I can't remember where but the military was asking for textile quilts in the hospitals. You can use button of various sizes. Zippers, Snaps, shoe laces, fleece, rough feeling fabrics, sequin fabric, etc.

Have fun,
    Old 06-05-2020, 03:55 AM
    Power Poster

I’ve seen a ( hodgepodge) of different sizes minkie scraps to make toss pillows. The kids love those minkie pillows. Also patchwork teddy bears and other animals are well loved. I have used some for appliqué but usually just sew them together to make a large enough piece to do something else with- pillows are the favorite.
    Old 06-05-2020, 04:18 AM

If you have an embroidery machine, OESD has a set of adorable Minkee stuffed toys. They are called “Minkee Pals” and there are a few collections in various sizes. They have been some of my go-to shower gifts for years and years. I add a piece of ribbon to hang them on a stroller or equivalent. The smallest ones use 2 piece of 5” square Minkee.
    Old 06-05-2020, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam
    If you have an embroidery machine, OESD has a set of adorable Minkee stuffed toys. They are called “Minkee Pals” and there are a few collections in various sizes. They have been some of my go-to shower gifts for years and years. I add a piece of ribbon to hang them on a stroller or equivalent. The smallest ones use 2 piece of 5” square Minkee.
    Yes, I made many for my grandchildren. Also, I took squares to make a block and added different ribbon pieces, folded and stitched into the seams. Some grograin, some satin, to give a different feel for babies to play with. All the kids loved them.
    Old 06-05-2020, 10:44 AM

I made a hippo with part Minkie and part cotton to match the baby quilt. (The backing was Minkie...and I did snip off the threads around his ears.)

Watson
    Attached Thumbnails hippo.jpg