Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do when the power goes out?? >
  • What do you do when the power goes out??

• What do you do when the power goes out??

Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 AM

We lost power for 5 hrs after a nite of hard freeze so pipes froze and burst. So I just sat and cried. That's what I did! LOL
    Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Get out the hand crank machine or the treadle to do sewing on until power is back.
    Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
    Did some cutting for my next quilt, till the light got to dim. Have a small generator to power frig/freezer and a few lights but of course not the plugs in my sewing room. Think that has got to be changed but husband out of town, this always happens when he is away. Wind is quieting down some so hopefully power will be back on soon. I am in the process of quilting my mystery quilt and really want to get back to it.......think maybe I need some cheese with the whine......
    I have a backup rechargable battery for my computer. I don't know if the battery is large enough for you to get a significant amount work done. You may want to check online.
    Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM
    MNM

Use your treadle machine. Our power goes out all the time. We live very rural. It can be fun sewing in all the quiet. MNM
    Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 AM

yes! this is the reason I bought my treadle machine. I can put it in front of the window and if it is still too dark, i get out the kerosene lamp.
    Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM

I have a treadle machine but it needs a new belt. My mother has one that I think it in working order, might need to get that from her as she isn't using it.....
    Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 AM
    Power Poster

Go to a hotel! LOL. I've done that before in the summer when the power was out.

We have one of the generator systems hooked to the house, looks like a compressor unit outside. It comes on when the power goes out. It's very quiet. After two weeks with no power some years ago it taught us how much work and money it took to not have power. We did have heat with the fireplace insert, but if no power in the summer we'd be miserable. Check out the system if you lose power a lot. I never know the difference when the power goes out. It hooks to the house gas line or can use LP fuel.
    Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
    Banned

One time I was in the studio working on a quilt and my wife ran out there and asked me if I knew the power was off. She noticed that I was still sewing away and was wondering if I had power out there. All I did was point under the table and never missed a beat. :roll:

Billy
    Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 AM

If it is dark, first thing I do is to get the big battery powered shop light always kept charged and in a basket next to the couch. Then I run around and unplug everything that is electronic in case of a power surge when the electricity is restored. OMG that is everything nowdays! Fridge, sewing machine, microwave, computer, pellet stove, etc., all the mother boards can be ruined by a power surge.

We had a power outage last month and I discovered that out of 13 oil lamps that I have, only one had old oil and a semi usable wick. So I have made sure that my lamps have new wicks and have put new oil into one so that I can fill the others if I need to.

Next thing I do is to enjoy the piece and quiet, throw an extra quilt on the bed and invite the dogs to share their warmth (remember the group Three Dog Night?) with me.
    Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

We seldom lose power, but when we do I read. DH, however, goes nuts without the TV. :lol: