Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you like in a quilt pattern? >
  • What do you like in a quilt pattern?

• What do you like in a quilt pattern?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM

keep in mind that referring to someone else's video, it could be deleted or copyrighted. making your own video would be ideal.
    Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
    I agree with you some of the fabric cutting instructions are difficult to understand, and that might be because I am a new quilter. I guess we would need to give her an example of how to make it easier for us to under stand. Which I am not totally sure. But I do know that my first attempt at making a quilt top I threw away because I totally messed up on the cutting and nothing fit right. I honestly believe every instruction should be written as if the person had no clue on how to do a quilt. I usually look for the "beginner" sign on it : ) or something along that line. Have the pattern printed on a tan or beige paper, not white. Have the print large enough for us "old folks". Be sure to include directions on fabric such as you could use fat quarters, or charm square, etc. Have a glossary so that we would know "WOF" = width of fabric. Some of the terminology here on the boards I get very confused about. Test it, with several different levels of experience, in quilting. That honestly will be your best bet, they can give you constructive criticism.
    Cutting diagrams have been very useful for me, but in the pattern I used this summer, it just seemed to me like the overall design was set up to generate scraps.
    Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM

You need to cater for the visual and word learners. Photographs of the process and a full picture of the finished quilt are good for the visual. By them short and clear instructions in words.
    I wish more patterns had ideas for quilting, not just the line finish quilt in normal way , or sandwich and quilt.
    Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    Have been quilting for +30 years. Some of the newer patterns quite frankly, don't give enough directions. The pattern may be simple, but not enough is described, especially for beginning level quilting. Keep in mind people may interpret the directions in several different ways too. You want the quilters to enjoy the process, not left wondering and frustrated. Very best luck to you and all future success.
    I so agree with that. They just give a few lines and your left trying to figure it out for yourself. Definitely a video would be helpful too.
    Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Numbered pages
    suggestions on quilting (not just quilt as desired)
    This one

(that's all I wanted to say, for some reason I have to add more because it's flagged "too short")
    Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM

If you have to make units--like half sq. triangles--include the size to which they should be squared up. Always remember that a novice may be using your patterns.
    Old 08-11-2012, 05:33 PM

I like patterns that tell you what size the units should be when put together also...every step of the way. Lots of pictures is good, and I like the suggestion of giving quilters alternate ways of creating things like HSTs, but then you would have to alter the cutting directions for each way and that would be confusing. I love Judy Martin quilts but I hate the way her directions are given - too confusing and frustrating, flipping to the back of the book to find a template, just give me the size of the square, triangle, rectangle in the directions.

When you have your testers make the quilts, ask them to do different color ways that could be used in the photos. You could also ask them to quilt them in different ways - E2E free motion, panto, custom - so buyers of your patterns could see the different possibilities. I know so many quilters who choose to make a quilt in the exact same colors/materials as the pictures on a pattern.

If you are using a new method of creating a pattern (like strip-sewn stars) that need detailed drawings/photos, don't skimp on them because the cost more money to produce, but they are essential to the success of your buyers...they fail with the first quilt designed by you, they won't be buying more.

I hate having typos and errors in a pattern - a good editor is important. It there are typos, I figure the person was in too big a hurry to get the pattern out to care about quality...and I wonder what else was rushed and wrong!
    Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9
    I like color photos and I like step by step instructions with photos as I'm one of those people that has to 'see' something as well as read the directions.
    Ditto for me!!! I am a visual learner. I also prefer patterns that are printed on "photo paper" rather than regular printer paper. Makes for better quality all the way around. Also not on one big piece where you have to open it up, prefer it to be more like a book type if that makes sense.

Last edited by CajunQuilter2; 08-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 AM

I agree with KrisB. Note on the pattern the rate of difficulty. I'm a newbie and I'm not ready to go back easy/beginer. Also, agree with having yardage info for everything from lap to king AND easy to follow directions for those of us who are challenged by just reading instructions--we like easy.
    Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give me there feedback. The information you've provided above is really going to help me make a better pattern. I'm so glad this board exists for gathering feedback like this.