Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you need to know to enter a quilt show >
  • What do you need to know to enter a quilt show

• What do you need to know to enter a quilt show

Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Why do you say you will start making show quilts next year? If you want to enter MQX East 2014 with a not-yet-made quilt, you'd best get busy. The entry deadline is February 1st, only five months away.

Start with these websites for a good overview of how to prepare for showing.
    http://piecesofpye.com/articles/prep...t-for-judging/
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/winning.htm
    There's also an excellent book by Karen McTavish titled Quilting for Show. It has a lot of tips.

The Lowell show, Images, is juried (deadline is the end of June), but Vermont is not. It's the first 200 received (I think that's the number, maybe less) get in. The Mancuso shows are all juried as well (Manchester is in mid-August each year, entry form not available until spring).

Jumping in with both feet (meaning not showing in guild or county shows first) is often done (I did it and I know several others who have, as well), but it takes guts...and lots of confidence. Look online for calls for entry. Lyric Kinard stays pretty current with her listing.
    http://www.lyrickinard.com/enter_shows.html
    Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Skittle: Thank you. For specific requirements for the shows, I definitely will read their requirements. I know there are a ton of different little things each show does differently.

Thanks for the little tips. will keep those in mind.

Dottymo, I am sorry, you are correct, I did not state the country. I am in the US. Thank you though for information from your country, there may be others interested that didnt ask and they may be in the UK. And yes, I always am careful not to bash a quilt outloud at the show, no matter how I feel. Since there is the possibility the maker is near. And I would feel awful if they heard me. I try to phrase my comments in way that I would say to their face if they asked me directly.

Dunster: Thank you so much for the book recommendation, I put it in my amazon cart. I have a few original ideas hanging about in my head (and a special box on my coffee table) waiting for my skills to match my desires Watch out cause I will be a ribbon winner may not be next year, may not be the year after, but I will be one.

Lisa: yes, I have heard them too. It is pretty rough at times. I try not to be so at shows (as noted above) I have a pretty thick skin, and what my mom calls "plain old stubborn irish" lol I do a lot of researching ahead of time, get an idea, set it....and to heck with everyone else Of course I expect to win when putting a quilt into a show, otherwise why bother. But I also understand that it may not work depending on things out of my control. Thank you.

Bellaboo: Thank you. Yes I heard about the binding...sigh, that is the part I hate tons.

JustAbitCrazy: Yes, i have heard about many people who entered into the wrong category. It is so sad but I understand the show can't always change. Thank you,

Feline, Yes, I guess I have a habit of jumping into the deepend without thinking. Good note on the stitch regulator...hmm, if that is the case I will need more practice. I have yet to turn mine off and try free handing with it. I didnt make it to either of those shows this year. But you are right, I probably should start a little smaller and work up. I am still very new to free hand work, so will need alot of practice. Which my family seems keen to ensure I have plenty of projects to practice on. LOL

Scissor, yes I went to MQX this past year, the quilts there were amazing. And yes, thank you, you and feline are probably right that I need a little more get feet wet before I jump into the deepend.

Tashana: I have several ideas in my little "idea box" on my coffee table. All original and different from what I have seen at other shows. I am just working on my skill before I start them.

Ghostrider: yes, I know the deadline is swiftly approaching. Although I am rather quick at most everything I do. I am waiting till next year because I have a ton of "to do's" for christmas this year. But as others noted, perhaps I need to scale back what show I enter first. I just dont want fear to stop me, fear of failure or even fear of success. That is my biggest problem. Thank you for the links, I bookmarked them and will check them out when I have time to sit and read later tonight. am due down in the LA room to free hand some spider webs on a halloween quilt it is looking cute!

I will double check the lowell show and the vermont show. Those were the 2 I skipped this year....after going to the Mancuso show, I felt I should have gone to the VT show instead. I was highly disappointed with that one.
    I will check out the last link as well.

Thank you ladies for your input. I really want to be a "Best in Show" one day at Paducah or Houston. That is my ultimate goal. Granted I know that it is quite a way off, but that is where I want to grow my skills. I am always open for constructive criticism, I personally think if you plan to compete you really need to be open to that. Otherwise how will you grow and learn. So please, anytime you see any of my work, feel free to give criticisms. I promise I wont get my panties in a bunch about it.

Hugs! Thank you again!