Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you sit on? >
  • What do you sit on?

• What do you sit on?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
    Power Poster

I feel your pain as I've had back problems for years.

I tried a rolling adjustable office chair, but found it too low (even at its highest setting) for comfort. I bought an adjustable drafting chair with adjustable arms... it's lowest is the highest of the office chair, so I keep it just a tad higher. Comfortable too when sitting to reverse stitch (really?), pinning, doing hand work etc.

Works perfect ... plus I can adjust it higher to sit comfortably at my cutting table or ironing board, when I have a sit-down job and am working at them.
    Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I tried a rolling adjustable office chair, but found it too low (even at its highest setting) for comfort. I bought an adjustable drafting chair with adjustable arms... it's lowest is the highest of the office chair, so I keep it just a tad higher. Comfortable too when sitting to reverse stitch (really?), pinning, doing hand work etc.

Works perfect ... plus I can adjust it higher to sit comfortably at my cutting table or ironing board, when I have a sit-down job and am working at them.
    ME TOO!!!
    I have short legs, though, so my DH built me a platform for under my sewing machine so my feet are in the right place in relation to the rest of me when sitting. I like the foot rest bar on my chair, too. The higher chair gives me a better view when sewing, because of course my shorter height also makes the table too high.
    The drafting chair/platform pairing is perfect.
    Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 PM

because of limited space, i sit on my couch and pull my end table to infront of me and sew. best i have right now. my back hurts no matter what i sit on. :-)
    Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Originally Posted by QuiltE

ME TOO!!!
    I have short legs, though, so my DH built me a platform for under my sewing machine so my feet are in the right place in relation to the rest of me when sitting. I like the foot rest bar on my chair, too. The higher chair gives me a better view when sewing, because of course my shorter height also makes the table too high.
    The drafting chair/platform pairing is perfect.
    Too funny ... I was thinking today about a platform for the foot pedal and my other foot, as I could handle the chair a little higher, but is not comfortable for the legs and feet. And yes, the foot rest is where my extra foot, often is!
    Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    my butt...

hahahaha! ;)
    Me too and I think thats why its gotten wide lately. LOL. Actually I have a stool and I hate it and I also hate my sewing table as it is like 36 inches off the floor and so the stool is high too and my feet do not touch the floor therefore I don't sew much unless I put my machine on top of my portable dishwasher and then I have to stand. I wish the weather would warm up and stay sunny every day so that I can put my picnic table up outside and sew on it on the back porch.
    Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM

I started out with an extra dining room/kitchen chair. I made a foam cushion to sit on. Then eventually bought an office chair on sale at an office supply store, but didn't put on the arms as they would get in my way. Still used the foam cushion.

Then I found the Dynadisc back when they were not so expensive. It is the same thing that the Gypsy Quilter? sells. This replaced the foam cushion.

Then took a class on [sewing] machine quilting with Harriet Hargrave and the whole first part of that class was on ergonomics and she told us how she bought herself a Herman Miller aerilon chair. Well, I went to see one, and [1] it was expensive!, but [2] it didn't fit my body. Whew. I saw what the worker bees used in their cubicles at this special office furniture store. They all had Swopper's. I talked the salesman into letting me borrow one over the weekend. I loved it!!! When I returned it first thing Monday morning I told him I wanted one.

Well ... it wasn't too pricey way back then but it wasn't cheap. It has been well worth every cent I paid. It is height adjustible and the balance can be controlled. It keeps me in an ergonomically correct position while I sew.

ali
    Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM

From time to time I do have serious back problems - unfortunately I had to have my back operated on in 1997. Since then I tried various chairs. Adjustable office chairs, simple wooden dining chairs, slightly upholstered dining chairs. A couple of months ago I found the unlikeliest solution. A couple of years ago I was given my grandmothers favourite armchair in which she used to sit for hours and hours and knit or do needle-work. She moved into a home for the elderly and couldn't take all her furniture. I love her dearly. Sadly, by now, she's very poorly and barely awake. I did get a response, though, when showing her my newest quilt project last Sunday. As soon as I had finished my corduroy D9P quilt top, I wrapped it up and drove to her.

Anyway, back to the chair, I never thought of using it to sit at a table. I don't know what made me move it to my sewing table. Most likely, it was around the time my grandmother's health deteriorated and I wanted to feel close to her by sitting in her chair. It turned out, that this was the perfect solution. It is rather low, but this is just perfect, even though I'm quite tall. I'd never have thought it and I'm so happy about it. The chair is similar to this one
    http://www.antiques-atlas.com/dealer.../as087110b.jpg

Of course it makes sitting down and adjusting the position of the chair and getting up slightly more akward compared to a normal chair. But for me it's just perfect. And I simply love sitting in my grandmother's chair. She used to sew a lot herself - clothes and quilts - and her parents were both professional tailors. This chair emphasizes my feeling of carrying on a family tradition.
    Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 PM

I was using a sewing bench, but did'nt like the size, now I use a large office chair even though it is too big for the room. I like the tall back, that it is adjustable, rolls easy, and its comfortable.
    Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM

i got one of those balaning pads at the sports store. it has helped relieve my back aches
    Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM

i got one of those balancing pads at the sports store. it has helped relieve my back aches