Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >
  • What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

• What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 AM

To pre-wash or not to pre-wash, that is the question! The other for me is the NO PET rule, I do have severe allergies to dogs. Apologies to all you dog lovers, my sons and brothers all have dogs but my allergies can be so bad I quit breathing. Not a good thing as I want to keep quilting.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM

it seems all the topics have been covered here. i don't think any have been left out.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Willa
    How about the age children start cutting with a rotary cutter and sewing on a machine? Some say, for example, 8 year olds are ok and others say never before age 18.
    Also agree with prewash and no prewash.
    I think the cutter goes back to how we were raised. I cooked, and sewed, and worked in the garden and in the field. I help Mom and I helped Dad. If I had avoided sharp things all that time, I'd have been in the house reading-------which I also did a lot of! I'd let a kid use a cutter whenever he/she wanted--well past kindergarten, anyway.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    From time to time I see the issue... If you tie a quilt is it a quilt or blanket.

I tie my quilts, It's too expensive for me to send out. I only make quilts for family
    I tie what I make for family and friends. If I ever get my Storm at Sea done (or should I say get it started!) it's going to a LAQ.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    For me it's not as much of hand quilting vs. machine quilting as it is how someone can pay someone to quilt their quilt and still claim they "made" it themselves. HUH?
    If I buy the fabric and I design the quilt and I piece the quilt-------THEN I MADE THE QUILT>

Who quilts the quilt is another story. If it stays with me, it'g going to get tacked. If I want it to be more special, it's going out to be quilted.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by blondeslave
    "Having "name brand" sewing machine vs. a less expensive, though not necessarily inferior one.
    I posted about my Brother PQ1500 machine, had a couple of replies about being somewhat embarrassed to use Brother machines....I have seen that some at my lqs, too...I'm sorry, but I don't see any problems with it.. I think we are all just trying to enjoy our hobbies, and the "brand name" of the machine shouldn't enter into it..."

My humble Kenmore and I have felt this pain too. It was a huge upgrade for me from a straight stich only machine and all I could afford. Kicked my friend's Pfaff's machine butt when we were collaborating on a rag quilt.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by grumpy90650
    i see alot of wash or dont wash, but i think the bigger one is the topic of should you 'share' a pattern that you buy....
    no problem here. Never bought a pattern yet!
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by zennia
    Originally Posted by mzsooz
    The one that gets me is "where you buy your fabric".
    This is mine to. What difference does it make to anyone else where someone buys their supplies. Happiness is in the doing not in the $$$$$. And trust me I am not happy spending a lot of $$$.

:)
    :thumbup: I guess I sometimes am niave'...I thought sometimes when it is asked where we buy our fabric, it may be someone new to quilting, and just wanting opinions on where to buy fabric?..or looking for good deals..???... If it is like a status thing, then I put it in the group with expensive machine vs. reasonably priced machine, which I already posted about, so won't "soap box" it...
    K
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Here's one: is quilting an art or a craft?
    Is it a craft if you make it from a kit?
    LOL, I'm not good at "art", but I'm good at "crafts"!

Don't buy kits---------not that I'm against kits for those who like them, but I am picky about prints and colors and designs. I'd be surprised if I found a kit that was exactly what I wanted.
    Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    Originally Posted by kiffie2413
    Having "name brand" sewing machine vs. a less expensive, though not necessarily inferior one.
    I posted about my Brother PQ1500 machine, had a couple of replies about being somewhat embarrassed to use Brother machines....I have seen that some at my lqs, too...I'm sorry, but I don't see any problems with it.. I think we are all just trying to enjoy our hobbies, and the "brand name" of the machine shouldn't enter into it...
    Brother makes a good machine... watch out Singer!
    Uh-oh.... In addition to my Brother PQ1500, also have Brother PC-420.... AND, I have 2 Singers...lol!!! And, throw me into the new vs. vintage...as 1 of the Singers is vintage from 1949, I inherited it from my great-grandma....I love them all...for different reasons, and feel grateful to have even 1 of them!!
    Kif