Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >
  • What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

• What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:55 PM

A BIG can of worms :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , but wouldn't quilting be so boring if we all only did things one way. Come to think of it life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing, I think we should all agree to disagree :lol: :lol:
    Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
    Having "name brand" sewing machine vs. a less expensive, though not necessarily inferior one.
    I posted about my Brother PQ1500 machine, had a couple of replies about being somewhat embarrassed to use Brother machines....I have seen that some at my lqs, too...I'm sorry, but I don't see any problems with it.. I think we are all just trying to enjoy our hobbies, and the "brand name" of the machine shouldn't enter into it...
    Brother makes a good machine... watch out Singer!
    Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM

Well got to put in my 2 cents worth, 1 cent maybe. Unless your quilt is being judged in a show, what ever methods you use to get your quilt finished, is owned by you the maker of said quilt. Your quilt can only be judged by the artist that made it. I like seeing all the quilts posted, sometimes they spark creativity in me. I really don't pay attention to people saying what should and should not be done. Fabric is our painters paper in a sense. what we manipulate it into is our art. quilters are artists. we make masterpieces.
    Old 09-19-2011, 11:32 PM

How about the age children start cutting with a rotary cutter and sewing on a machine? Some say, for example, 8 year olds are ok and others say never before age 18.
    Also agree with prewash and no prewash.
    Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody
    I think we should all agree to disagree :lol: :lol:
    Now where's the fun in that? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 AM

It is my observation that quilters are truly artists who use fabric (and other things) to create their art work. I've worked with both writers and visual artists in one capacity or another most of my life. The one thing I can say about them, as a generalization, is that they feel strongly about their work, and have strong opinions about it. The fact that a group of Quilters/Artists have strong opinions about the nature of their artistic endeavors, and at times with clash over them, is only to be expected. Oh, yes, and artists are highly individualistic, which can be seen in both their work, and in their attitudes: "My Quilt, My Way!" Nothing surprising about that. If we can only look at it from this perspective, then these little "spats" over how things are done, are really nothing but clashes that should be expected among a group of such talented people. Just tell them how you do something, but don't try to convince them that your way is the only way, and things should go smoother around here. Although I must admit, I do like a bit of "spitfire" every now and again! Keeps things interesting!
    Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 AM

"Machines, vintage vs the newer ones."

This was the first one that came to mind.
    Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 AM

"Having "name brand" sewing machine vs. a less expensive, though not necessarily inferior one.
    I posted about my Brother PQ1500 machine, had a couple of replies about being somewhat embarrassed to use Brother machines....I have seen that some at my lqs, too...I'm sorry, but I don't see any problems with it.. I think we are all just trying to enjoy our hobbies, and the "brand name" of the machine shouldn't enter into it..."

My humble Kenmore and I have felt this pain too. It was a huge upgrade for me from a straight stich only machine and all I could afford. Kicked my friend's Pfaff's machine butt when we were collaborating on a rag quilt.
    Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 AM

Copyright.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
    Losing "regular" status.

(This is a fun thread!)
    Oh, I missed that one!

Life is too short to get so upset over any of these controversial subjects. Expressing 'our opinions' shouldn't step on top of other's opinions... and that is my opinion! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I first joined this board I used to jump in on things like prewash/no wash, etc. but now I just read them and smile! :-D