Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you want in terms of a pattern? >
  • What do you want in terms of a pattern?

• What do you want in terms of a pattern?

Old 07-20-2020, 03:05 PM
    Power Poster

I can probably make any pattern put before me, what I would like to see in more books and magazine patterns is
    pressing directions. Those little arrows that make putting a block together so much easier.
    Old 07-20-2020, 04:25 PM

The simpler and more detailed, the better. And having said that....I don't follow the directions for many patterns. For several years now, I find I don't focus on the directions. It's like someone is writing Chinese and expecting me to understand it in English. Even after reading the directions several times, I just can't make them stick in my mind. And when they show everything that has to be cut out of one piece of fabric, I get more confused. I know it is necessary if you are doing a fat quarter pattern and then I will knuckle down and pay attention and just do it.

Instead, I use the finished size of the blocks as noted in the pattern to draw the blocks in EQ7 then I just use the EQ7 rotary cutting instructions and cut one block at a time, unless all the blocks are exactly the same. The exception is a paper piecing pattern. I need all the help I can get with those.
    Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 PM

I don't often use patterns, at least the way they are written (add different borders, sizes, etc). but I like fabric requirements, clear schematic of the block units, and pressing directions! Pressing directions are so welcome cause I always end up struggling with that.
    Old 07-21-2020, 04:10 AM

I want clear and easy to follow directions. Make sure to define the size of the blocks. Are they finished or unfinished sizes? Just let me know.

Yes, I want yardage calculated for the pattern. Some patterns do include extra amounts with the yardage figures. Tell us that information so we can purchase accordingly.

My responses are based on patterns in general.
    Old 07-21-2020, 04:57 AM

I don't have an interest in learning to draft patterns, and I feel no need to come up with original ideas when there are so many beautiful patterns available. I love the process of starting with a pattern and envisioning it in my choice of fabrics; this is sufficient creativity for me.

The first thing I want in a pattern is no errors! Then I agree with Peckish -- "write and explain everything in detail. It won't hurt experienced quilters and will help beginners."

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    Do you want actual construction details down to the "press seam toward" of each and every sub-unit? And then the order to connect the sub-units? And then the blocks, sashing, borders?? How do you then deal with different styles or construction techniques?

Do you want figured out yardage? Is yardage enough or do you need cutting diagrams? Is it the math, either in adding in seams or best way to cut that is confusing? Do you need to know when we say "take a square and cut it along the diagonal" that means the long diagonal edge is bias and the two outer edges are straight on grain and why that can be important? Is it the math that happens with diagonals?
    Personally, I like everything spelled out for me in orderly fashion (what I will need, how I will cut it, how I will sew it, how I will press it). Diagrams are extremely helpful, because they confirm that you've understood the descriptive directions correctly. I never take a step in a Bonnie Hunter quilt without referring to the photos that accompany the clue.

I also prefer a photo of a finished, real quilt -- not just a corner of the quilt; for some reason, I find that particularly annoying. A photo of a whole quilt is a very useful reference point.

One thing I find very helpful is specifying what the fabric is for in the quilt. For example, in yardage requirements: 2 yd. dark pink (unit A, inner border, binding).

edit
    Yes, please state the size of the sub-units, the finished unit and finished block!
    Old 07-21-2020, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    I love patterns and having all that work done for me. As far as details, since the advent of Youtube you can find answers to just about everything there.
    But ask me to draft a pattern and I'm completely useless
    I'm with SuzieQOH...I like patterns to tell me everything, even though I've been quilting for about 10 years now and am no longer a newbie. You never know when a new tip will show itself. I'm also constantly looking online for extra info.

~ C
    Old 07-21-2020, 06:46 AM

I started quilting with a vengeance with the rotary cutter. I have tons of patterns of the newspaper era but for the most part never conquered them. I would watch my oldest sister sail along with these patterns and was in awe. I still have some of her pieces that she cut and many blocks she made. Mind you she was doing these back in the 1930's and 40's. I didn't learn to really quilt with ease until the early 90's and played around with a few applique or plain squares in the 70's and 80's. I tried to graph out blocks and was not to successful. Kudos to you for these early skills. I believe that this 'art' needs to be taught again before it dies away. I use quilt pro to add the 1/4" to my own designs and am very please with how my blocks come out.
    I think today the ease of making the quilt pieces is what new quilters are looking for. Computers and made things so much easier and since those that ask are already here on the computer that would be what is being requested.
    The other question is the name of a given pattern. As we know there are thousands of different pattern and you could spend months looking for a pattern or the name of a pattern. Asking, maybe someone has made it and this can make the search easier just knowing the name. The Quilter Cache https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html is a big help for both.
    Old 07-21-2020, 07:35 AM
    Power Poster

Some blocks have several names.

Some names have several blocks associated with them.

That complicates things.

The name of a block is not of particular interest to me. If doing a swap - I would include an illustration of the block I had in mind - along with the name that I knew it by.
    Old 07-24-2020, 06:20 AM

I'm usually a scrapper, so yardage indicators aren't a huge draw for me. What I do like is unfinished sizes in blocks. Directions that say what block components, you are making i.e. 2 1/2 inch HST's. So that I can make them the way I want, if it's different from the way the pattern maker makes them. And it would be totally awesome, to have different sizes available. I like human size quilts, not square quilts.
    Old 07-24-2020, 06:57 AM

While I rarely use a pattern, when I do I look for things you all have already commented on. Straight forward clear directions, good illustrations and because I am a bit anal about trimming I hope for a statement "square unit up to". Yardage for me is only a guideline - I have had so many "patterns" that overstated yardage. I do what Barb in Louisiana does - a lot of times - design it in EQ and go from there. I have certain way I do things such as HSTs and Flying Geese and I adapt the construction to accommodate my skills and ways.

That all being said ... if I were designing a quilt pattern for market, I might include a sheet of "basics" such as 1/4" seams, pressing tips, HSTs, QSTs etc.... Then in the pattern itself I would assume they understood the basics. I have noticed that a lot of quilting books do this and it is great as if you are curious as to how they assemble or do something there is a reference sheet if not you can plod ahead.