Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around? >
  • What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

• What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3
    I'm not sure what my family says when I'm not around, but last week after our quilt guild meeting my sister-in-law and I went to lunch. We over-heard two men sitting behind us and one man was telling the other about his wife's quilting. He sounded so proud of her. I wish I knew her and could pass it along. He did mention that she had a quilt guild meeting that morning, surely must have been someone in our group. It was really neat to hear.
    You should tell the story at one of your group meetings. Just tell them "up front" that you will NOT describe the men...let each of the women think it was her husband!
    Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 PM

My family is great about my quilting, Hubby never says anything about all the fabric and is always on the lookout for antique machines that he thinks I'll like, once he even squared up some blocks for me! :thumbup:
    DS is always the first one to ask if I know of any quilt shops in a town that we are traveling to. :thumbup:
    DD always displays the quilts I made for her and the grands, and she tells her friends that her mom made these quilts. :thumbup:
    The rest of the family loves the quilts I make even though some think I have more than enough fabric :roll: :roll:
    Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

my family is used to it (those that live in my house) ~ the rest of the family thinks its a waste of time to "make more blankets" (ahem, like my father)... but then they get upset when I mention I could buy the blender on their list for their wedding, they are already expecting a quilt ~ go figure!

Not really sure I want to know LOL
    Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Of six daughters, I am the only quilter. And of course, my sisters all want quilts from me. I'm working on the 3rd one now. I know my husband doesn't mind my quilting, My daughter is very supportive as she also quilts. But I am the kind person who goes her way and does her own thing.
    Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 PM

No other family members who sew, so they don't understand or appreciate the time and effort put into it. MOM will barely say 'hmmmm' or 'uh-huh' when I show her something in process, but later will tell my sister on the phone (different state) "Oh you should see the beautiful 'such-and-such' that Terri made! . . . . sure wish I could sew like that!" But never says it to me directly. Finally have two friends who quilt, and we have been sharing patterns and ideas for just two years now----LOVE THEM DEARLY!!!!
    Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Because I have a very disfunctional family, I usually hear two to three months later that a niece or grand niece have shown someone the pictures I have posted on my space to friends, and get inquires on how much I charge. From my daughter I hear how 2 or 3 siblings think they will have to die before I make quilts for them. [they never aske me themselves]
    I sometime barter quilts for work, such as getting my hair put in locks. In such cases whomever is willing to wait as long as it takes for me to finish their quilts. I have to think that I am doing something right. [don't feel it] but other people seem to prove it.
    Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM

I'm the only one in my family that quilts. No one seems very interested in it. My Mom asked me to do a quilt show in August for a ladies group from her church. I get to share my fun!
    Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Sometimes I am just a slow poke to answer.... My Grandson made a great comment last Thanksgiving!. His teacher had him make a placemat for Thanksgiving and then write on it what he was thankful for. He wrote... I am thankful because my grandma makes blankets for us!
    Old 05-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Maybe you should have told them to bring the wife along next time to quilt with you while they hunt??? Might make a new friend and you know you already have a common bond with both of you being quilters...crafty_linda_b

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Yesterday a couple of hunters (men- a father and son) stopped by our house to visit. They hunt next door to our property. We don't know them very well, but are friendly with them. Anyway, into the conversation (somehow?)...my DH mentioned that I spent some of my time quilting. The Dad says, "So you quilt too? My DW is a quilter, she currently has 3 projects going right now!" The Son pipes up and says "Yeah, my Mom took all my old jeans and made me a quilt...I bring it with me to hunting camp because its so warm and cozy!..Its cool!" They were actually beaming with pride about it! I just thought that it was very sweet of them...if I knew her, I'd have to tell her all about it. It just made me curious to wonder.....what do you think your family says about your quilting when you aren't there??
    Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
    Power Poster

Thats a good idea Linda...next time I see them, I'll invite her!