Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around? >
  • What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

• What does your Family say about your quilting when you aren't around?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
    Power Poster

On the whole they admire my obsession! :roll:
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 PM
    Power Poster

I hadn't given this much thought until these 2 rough guys started gushing about the wife/mom...it just struck me as so great. I'm really glad to hear that most of us have supportive families!
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
    Power Poster

My husband is really supportive and encouraging. Most of my friends are non-quilters so they think I'm strange, one actually refers to it as "that thing you do". The kids think it's ok, but I have overheard one say "she's a bit eccentric".
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM

My husband likes that I have a hobby now...he just wishes I had found a less expensive and not so messy one!

My kids - son asked why I hadn't made him one, told him I hadn't made anyone a quilt yet, my daughter showed me a quilt in a magazine that she loves (hint, hint, say no more!), my other daughter is despondent that her Grandmother (who died last summer) never made her one. I responded that my mother never made me one, either.

I guess that means they would all like a quilt made by Mom.

My nieces, nephews and grands are mostly 'into' it. I have orders for quilts for those who have seen my initial attempts. Two are delivered, several in progress, one being re-done because I simply didn't like it.

I'm not really good at sewing/quilting, but I have fun doing it. I think the kids see that it's fun for me more than they "see" finished product, and want to try. So far 3 of them have either helped on a quilt top or done their own very simple quilt.
    Old 04-30-2011, 08:03 PM

my dh has a wonderful eye for color and even a great eye for design he was playing with my scraps while i was sewing one nite and designed a lap quilt to use up all my john deere scraps last week cause i had so much left over stuff from some place mats and a table runner i made my friend.
    he is very proud of my quilting and supports my obsession he even suggests i need more time at it when life gets too stressed out. he knows its my therapy and encourages it.
    carla
    Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 PM

My sister is supportive. I have two kids that when I show them a quilt top I am working on they will ask "who is that for" lol.. It would be real interesting to hear what they do think.
    Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 PM

That I am an obcessed fabric buyer....
    Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by carla m
    my dh has a wonderful eye for color and even a great eye for design he was playing with my scraps while i was sewing one nite and designed a lap quilt to use up all my john deere scraps last week cause i had so much left over stuff from some place mats and a table runner i made my friend.
    he is very proud of my quilting and supports my obsession he even suggests i need more time at it when life gets too stressed out. he knows its my therapy and encourages it.
    carla
    It is posts like these that make me wish we had a "like" button. That is so "cool" (to use an old/new word) that your husband does this.
    Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 PM

"She puts thousands of hours into making these blankets when she could just go buy one for $10 at Walmart." Yup, that's what DH says, I've overheard him.
    Old 04-30-2011, 10:45 PM

Haven't heard anything bad and never had one returned, even offers to take the, not so pretties off my hands so I can save space LOL.... But also a bit of family tradition, being continued. Happy Quilting !! :)