Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What to expect when looking for a new machine >
  • What to expect when looking for a new machine

• What to expect when looking for a new machine

Old 09-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Only one local dealer wouldn't let me be the 'driver' in the test run. One of our local Viking stores. I didn't get my machine there.
    I tried several brands and all the other dealers let me do the test 'drive' with the machines. I fell in love with my Pfaff and love it.
    After you try whatever ones you want to - and even some brands you wouldn't try - you might want to consider if there is a big quilt expo near you and go there. They often have good sales on the machines demo'd there. The dealers don't want to schlep the machines back to their stores. That is one way to save $$$.
    Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM

I bought my Pfaff about 15 years ago. Not only did I spend a lot of time testing all the machines, I got a free class on using it. Although I considered myself a pretty accomplished sewer, I attended the class (it was free!). It was one of the smartest things I ever did. I still pull out my notes from that class and a big part of the class was care and cleaning. Knock on wood, but that machine has never been in for repair and still looks brand new.
    Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Would you buy a car without a test drive?
    Old 09-14-2013, 12:30 PM

I don't touch your machine, you don't touch my money. Bye bye!
    Old 09-15-2013, 02:24 AM

When I was seeking a new machine I did a lot of online research. I wanted it to do certain things that my little lightweight machine couldn't. I started putting money aside like a squirrel with nuts for winter & after reading all the comments from owners of the ones I liked, I chose the Laura Ashley NX-2000 by Brother. It's an expensive machine, but I do not regret it for a second!! Do your research, go in knowing what you want & don't let the dealer push you in another direction. Look at it as though it's the only machine you're going to have for a lifetime. It helps...
    Old 09-15-2013, 03:58 AM

may I also recommend going to a quilt show near you... and they usually have multiple vendors and they let you try them all out... sometimes you can get a demo machine for alot cheaper at the show... note if you want one from a nearby shop so you can take classes...note where the shops are from at the quilt show...and make your decision there... make a list of what you want to do with a machine... for example I quilt and sew clothes..not into embroidery but some folks are... I love the needle down option, love the ease of changing stitches with computerized machines. It is up to you what you like etc..
    hugs
    quiltinmama
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom
    I would go to a different dealer. When I got mine, I was allowed to sit and play with it like it was my own.
    Same here.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 AM

Shop around, go online, find the best price for the model you like.....after you have tried it out in the store. Remember is you purchase from a reputable online dealer, there is no sales tax and usually no shipping. That is if you do not need classes.
    If you need instruction, then find the best price on line (Call the dealer directly), then go to your local shop and see if they will match the price without tax. I have done this numerous times.

Know the features you cannot live without,....such as auto thread cutter, numerous decorative stitches, quilting amenities etc. Take a quilt sandwich with you. Best wishes in your quest.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 AM

I purchase a new machine a little over a year ago. Since I live in the middle of nowhere going to a dealer was not an option. I just researched alot of them online. Asked for opinions from members of the board and my quild members. Your choice of a Brother is a good one even if the dealer is being unresonable. My old machine was a Brother and the new one also ended up being a Brother CS6000i and I absolutely love them. I have had the chance to use other machines like Pfaff and Janome and they dont seem any better than my trusty Blue (thats my machine name). Just go with your gut and stick to your guns. Dont let them dealers try to upsell you. Have fun with the search.
    Old 09-15-2013, 06:54 AM

The dealer expects you to buy a machine and not be able to sit down and sew on it, right there in the shop? I would definitely find another dealer.