Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >
  • What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

• What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

I remember hand-sewing a shirt for my Pooh bear when I was very little, maybe 5 or so. When I was 10, I needed a black skirt for orchestra. My mom, who didn't really sew, pointed me toward her old Singer. I made that skirt and never stopped sewing. I made a lot of my own clothes in high school (hippy styles were fun and easy!) and prom dresses for other girls for $$. I was a drama major in college, and worked in the costume shop when I wasn't on stage. I didn't discover quilting until a few years ago, and now it's like an obsession. I think in quilts.

The cool thing is that my 21-year old daughter is now a costume design major at Boston University. She designs big shows and has sewing skills I've never even heard of. This summer she's a wardrobe assistant on a film. I am so excited to see where her career takes her.
    Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 AM

You must be my age as I now remember the drawstring gym bag. I would not have remembered that if you had not mentioned it. I was making doll cloths, etc. Don't remember what age I started, but in 9th grade I was making lined suits when everyone else was making the apron & gathered skirt.
    Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 AM

in the 9th grade home economics, made a green and white poke a dot aline skirt. I wore the holy heck out of it that year, I was so proud of it. been sewing ever since. By the way got an "A" on that project.
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM

I was 9, my aunt came to visit and brought some Barbie clothes printed on fabric, cut and sew, I sewed them on Mom's treadle that I still have today.
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM

I was in eight grade home ec. and I made an A-line skirt with a zipper. That zipper gave me "fits".... but I got an A.
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM

My mother taught me to outline embroider when I was 10 or 11. Then at 13 I got to take Home Ec in school and made my first dress.....a sundress with patch pockets. I haven't stopped since. For many years I made all my own clothes, as well as clothes for my daughters and shirts for my husband. I even made myself a pair of 5-pocket jeans once and also made my husband a sportcoat.

Then I got into making quilts about 15 years ago! That's all I want to do now. Occasionally my daughter will ask me to make a blouse or something and I'll do it, but really don't enjoy that any more. I've got Quiltheimer's Disease really bad!
    Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
    Power Poster

i tried to make a "box" blouse. sleeveless loose short top with a square neckline. I was 14.
    Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM

I was in Jr. High and took Home Ec. One semester was sewing the other cooking. I remember having to practice sewing on paper - following the shapes. The first thing I made was a dress - it had a yoke on it!! What was that teacher thinking!?! It was short sleeves and the fabric I chose was striped. Don't have the dress - I don't think I ever wore it even. Sewed off and on from then on -but really never did much until after I married in 1988 - curtains, clothes, etc. LOVE sewing.
    Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
    Power Poster

I was around 8 when Mom showed me how to smock gingham and we made pillows out of the squares we made. I played with scraps trying my hand at Barbie clothes too.
    Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM

I was 10 and it was a Barbie doll dress and I still have both the doll and the dress 45 years later.....