Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What a Great Way to Use Coffee Filters >
  • What a Great Way to Use Coffee Filters

• What a Great Way to Use Coffee Filters

Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
    Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
    Wow - perfect for little round coffee mug rugs! What a great idea! I have some old industrial sized filters that have been sitting in my cupboard for years (pack rat that I am).....see, if I keep things long enough, I WILL use them (fact or fantasy depends on the day :) )

Linda
    mug rugs! I never thought of that, great idea! Maybe someone should start a coffee filter swap. lol
    Hummmmmmmmm, might be an easy way to dispose of bits of leftovers as I go along. Keep a "crazy" circle going at all times. Then maybe a swap
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967
    I've never heard about using coffee filters in the bottom of flowerpots.
    Can you tell us how and why?
    Thanks,
    I usuaslly put two on the bottom of the pot. They let water run thru but stop the bits of dirt from running out. Over time, they will disolve but by that time you've got roots and dirt packed pretty firmly. Little bits of poly fill work great, too. For that matter, small bits of fabric scraps work well too.

Rule at Grannie's house--------if it sits still too long, it goes in the bottom of a flower pot!
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra
    I have a whole stack of filters for my old coffee pot -
    This would be so fun, esp. with that "applique" way of doing drunkards path.[/quote]

I can't picture this!? How could you make a drunken path with circles? I'm not very up on blocks, but am very curious about this.[/quote]

a drunkard's path block uses a quarter circle set in one corner of a circle to make the block. Can be set together a billion ways.

I've also seen it called ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL, if you use a quarter circle of say red print and a square of white for one block then a quarter circle of white with a square of red print.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 AM

OMG! I just had a thought for a new block-----------------

Drunk & Crazy. Use the "crazy" circle, cut into quaters, to make the cricular corner for a drunkard's path block.

LOL, should make quite an interesting scrappy quilt using bigger scraps for the square part and then more scraps in the "crazy" curved part.

This old gal would have to applique the quarter circle rather than try to piece it into the square part.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
    Originally Posted by toriabelle
    Originally Posted by Sierra
    I have a whole stack of filters for my old coffee pot -
    This would be so fun, esp. with that "applique" way of doing drunkards path.
    I can't picture this!? How could you make a drunken path with circles? I'm not very up on blocks, but am very curious about this.
    Take your circle of fabric[could be crazypatch,etc.] put it on fusible interfacing with the right side of fabric and fusible side of interfacing together.Stitch all the way round. Cut slit on back and turn right side out. Press onto center of desired square. Top stitch around to secure. Cut into 4 egual squares.You now have 4 perfect Drunkards Path blocks.[/quote]

I have GOT to take time out of my pinwheel project tonight to make a block like this. Sounds like fun!!![/quote]

Far easier to simply fold the circle into quarters then cut along the lines.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 AM

This is a fabulous idea. :thumbup:
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Louise
    I am new at this just mostly listen. I tryed to post a comment but guess it did not work. Ok it did. Can't find where to delete this one only edit...That's why I just listen. LOL Does anyone know how to delete this...? :oops:
    IF all else fails----------use the edit key, delete what you've written and just type in something non-commital like "thanks" or "great idea". With a little luck, no one will notice you post referes to nothing at all. tee hee
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and I can see some "crazy"flat Easter eggs with two circles overlapped slightly and one end trimmed to a mimic the smaller end of an egg.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 AM

[quote=GrannieAnnie]
    Originally Posted by misseva
    Originally Posted by toriabelle
    Take your circle of fabric[could be crazypatch,etc.
    put it on fusible interfacing with the right side of fabric and fusible side of interfacing together.Stitch all the way round. Cut slit on back and turn right side out. Press onto center of desired square. Top stitch around to secure. Cut into 4 egual squares.You now have 4 perfect Drunkards Path blocks.
    Far easier to simply fold the circle into quarters then cut along the lines.
    This is the way I made my circles for my Big Dot quilt for my GD. It was so easy, only I just machine appliqued them on the 8.5 squares.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Hello: Once I have stitched the scraps to the foundation piece, I turn them over to the back, rottary cut to size (about 4 1/2" ), place right sides together, stitch all around, leaving about a 3" opening for turning. Before turrning, I clip the corners. Once turned, I like to use a chopstick to push out corners. I make up several at a time and then while watching (listening) to television, I hand stitch the opening with a heavy duty quilting thread. Being a true scrapper, I only use scraps of all sizes and colors. Toss the scraps in a bag, or basket, and pull them out and sew. More information then you asked for. Have fun with it. Your friends will love them. Eileen