Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What handmade item would you like to receive >
  • What handmade item would you like to receive

• What handmade item would you like to receive

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

How about a new ironing board cover I saw the directions for sewing one--I think on one of the sewing blogs. Wish I could find it again so I could make one. That would be a practical gift!
    Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 PM
    mim

when I get back to Olympia, I will take a pix of my wonderful ironingboard cover. Now I have to make a new cover for the one here in Maine

I only use it for pressing seams and ironing fabric after I wash it

Originally Posted by MamaYitu
    How about a new ironing board cover I saw the directions for sewing one--I think on one of the sewing blogs. Wish I could find it again so I could make one. That would be a practical gift!
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kathy6696
    Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
    How about the baked potato bag for the nuker? I`m sure they would love it! Keeps the oven clean and they taste so good.
    i have made some of these they are really easy. I have not had luck cooking a potatoe in it though. how do you get them to come out so good, i know some people rave about them, but I was a little dissapointed. I bought a lot of the tater batting so my GD could make some for a craft fair in Nov, but now I don't know about doing them.
    I had one and about an inch of the thread started to burn in the microwave. Not sure why, didn't appear to be anything in the area to cause it, as far as i could tell.
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM

I like to collect thimbles and pincushions. I make alot of pincushions to swap, give, sell or trade. Sew much fun! I'm making heirloom tomato pincushions now.
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Here is a link to a custom made ironing board cover.
    http://tipnut.com/how-to-make-an-ironing-board-cover/

I always make my ironing board covers. You can make a pattern by turning your ironing board upside down, trace around the shape with a texta pen onto paper. I quilt the cover by using a print fabric and a pre quilted calico. I pin these two together and quilt on the pre quilted lines. Right side of print to wrong side of quilted calico. Pin your paper pattern onto the quilted fabric, allow 2 to 2 1/2 inches all around, cut out and add a casing for the elastic. Remember to prewash both the print fabric and the quilted calico. You will have made a good ftting well wearing ironing board cover.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 AM
    mim

thanks for the link -- a lot of good ways to make one

Mim
    Originally Posted by Betty J
    Here is a link to a custom made ironing board cover.
    http://tipnut.com/how-to-make-an-ironing-board-cover/

I always make my ironing board covers. You can make a pattern by turning your ironing board upside down, trace around the shape with a texta pen onto paper. I quilt the cover by using a print fabric and a pre quilted calico. I pin these two together and quilt on the pre quilted lines. Right side of print to wrong side of quilted calico. Pin your paper pattern onto the quilted fabric, allow 2 to 2 1/2 inches all around, cut out and add a casing for the elastic. Remember to prewash both the print fabric and the quilted calico. You will have made a good ftting well wearing ironing board cover.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:19 AM

My daughter uses the potholders i give her for table toppers,but whatever.Connie in CO
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Thanks Betty J/ I will be making my self a new cover when I get home from vacation. The one I have now puts spots on my fabric when I iron.:(

[/quote]
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Mug rugs, pin cushions(in a teacup that is glued to the matching saucer)
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Great ideas, i need to get busy!