Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What I do with... >
  • What I do with...

• What I do with...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM

I, also, go to yard sales and thrift stores. The best I did was on www.freecycle.com where you register by your zipcode and I posted a request for any unwanted or left over fabrics. BOY what a landslide. I was in a small group making lap quilts for shut-ins and we didn't have to buy very much besides the thread. Awesome!
    Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 PM

Hear Here!
    Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
    I use the slivery piece of soap left at the end of the bar to mark my fabric rather than expensive markers that never seem to work anyways.
    What a great idea! And you know it will wash out. I also use sheets, but for backing. I just get them at Walmart. the cotton blend ones. A king size will easily back a large quilt.
    Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM

My most recent "find" was at a thrift store. I bought almost 10 yards of good quality fabric, all one piece, for $2.41, including tax.
    Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 AM

One of my things is buying material by the bolt for backing and batting also when you get the coupons!!! Have also used cotton sheets. :lol: Also I save old clothing. I also keep very small scraps for PP. Never know when you'll need just a tiny piece of something. Don't like cutting my big for something soooo little.
    Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    What is the newbies Challenge ?

I reuse the back side of paper for printing patterns, especially for paper piecing :wink:
    The newbie challenge is where beginner quilters pair up with vetrans who are willing to teach you about quilting. Someone you can go to when you don't feel like posting the situation.

I love the idea of using coffee can lids for templates.

I have the ice cream buckets and I made one into a basket to hold my embroidery equipment. It's nice because it has a lid so I can put it on the shelf in the closet and I don't have to worry about dumping it on my head when I pull it down.
    Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 AM

Newbie Challenge
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38362-1.htm
    Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 AM

I take old shoeboxes or such and cover them with fabric, usually upholstery fabric or fabric I cannot use elsewhere in quilting/sewing. I rather see that on my shelves than just plane shoeboxes. Cheaper than buying plastic containers. I sew scrap trim around the ends of thick clear plastic and glue the three sides to the end of the box so I can put in a label to identify what is inside.
    Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 AM

GREAT IDEA ON THE LIDS. I GO THROUGH A LOT OF COOL-WHIP AND JUST TOSS THE CONTAINERS. I HAVE PURCHASED OFFICE SUPPLY FOLDERS (VINYL) BEFORE ON CLEARANCE. BEATS THE PRICE OF TEMPLATE MATERIAL.
    Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 AM

second hand store, second hand store... always make time to cruise the thrift stores; you can pick up some great fabric, notions, heck a couple months ago I bought a quilting frame , still in the box , complete for 4.95! Look at everything; Wool clothing for penny rugs,beads for embelishing, floss for embroidery; yes, it takes a little time, and you have to visit more than one must times, depending on where I'm at in town, if I see a thrift store, I stop in. I've picked up hand made quilts for next to nothing! Bags of fabric 1 or 2 dollars, maybe you need an additional machine just for binding, or piecing, furniture for your sewing room.