Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What I figured out last Christmas... >
  • What I figured out last Christmas...

• What I figured out last Christmas...

Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I've got one you won't believe. I made my MIL a queen sized quilt for Christmas a number of years ago. I thought I asked all the right questions... do you like flowers?... what is you fav colour? Anyways, I never saw it on her bed, but you know, maybe she is using it to keep her closet warm. So she asked for a drive to the flea market to get rid of some junk. In the top of one of the boxes was the quilt. I asked what she was doing with the quilt and she said. Oh, I should get $10 or $15 for it. I said !!!!!! and took the quilt back. I was soooo spitting mad. I will never make her anything again. Sold the quilt on Ebay a year later.
    Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I am so sorry. I have never had anyone give me something like a quilt, but if I did, it would not matter which color or pattern...I would love it, and it would be on my bed! I am glad that you grabbed it before it went to that market - geez!
    Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM

My mouth droped open when I read that she give it away. :shock: It broke my heart I can't image how you felt. :-(
    Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM

I love your idea! My SIL's sister makes quilts by hand and my SIL gave my mom a blue and yellow quilt she had made. One of my mom's friends absolutely loved it so when my mom passed we gave her the quilt, she was so appreciative and overwhelmed and we were so pleased to be able to give it to someone we knew would appreciate it.
    Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Just to clarify-- when you sew the 1/4 inch seam of the folded over front, you are sewing this through the back side, correct?
    Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM

I know exactly what you mean........the flannel quilt I made my daughter is in her dog's kennel, cause the dog just loves to cuddle up with it! That was a few years ago but the hurt is still there. But anything I give to my BFF is so well loved and appreciated. She told me that she'd be hurt if I ever gave her something that was store bought. I don't hesitate to make things for her.
    Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
    Power Poster

Great idea, Heather! I dont think your post is negative at all, actually pretty helpful....I am sure all of us know at least some body who doesnt appreciate HM!!!!!!!!
    Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
    Power Poster

Good thinking...and I really love your fleece blankets and thanks for sharing how you make them.
    Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 AM
    Power Poster

Great idea.
    Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 AM

I will just bet everyone has a story like that. My ex MIL was my nemesis in all things.Nothing I did was ever good enough for her. When I think of all the time I wasted trying to please her . well live and learn. I spent an entire year making hand pieced and hand quilted quilts when I first started.(MIL, GMIL,loved it and step mom never used too nice) I spent the time making blocks from all the cities /states they(inlaws) had lived in. Quite a job for a new quilter . She unwrapped it held it up with 2 fingers said that's nice and dropped it on the floor. I have never forgotten that. And unless I know for sure someone is going to appreciate my work they get nada!.