Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns >
  • What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

• What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Default Make my own

I make my own esp. if I'm going to use it more than once. I use tear away for pattern pieces. It's a little sturdier than tissue. If I need something more during for say a circle template that I'm going to draw around, I use foam board (science board). It's inexpensive at Walmart or Target and lasts like iron.
    Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 AM

I agree, the purse patterns should have pieces it would save a step-you wouldn't have to make a pattern.
    Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 AM

Shelbie, I agree with both you & "kso". If a pattern requires that I make my own pattern or have to wait til I go somewhere to enlarge one, it just doesn't get made. Recently I purchased a wallet "pattern" directions that came on a card & I was supposed to make a pattern from dimensions given. The orig. description may have said it was a card but I apparently missed that. It was a lot to pay just for a card. It went to the bottom of the pile of patterns I wanted to make & will prob. never get done.

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    The patterns that annoy me the most are the ones that give you a tiny little picture of the piece and then you are suppose to take it to the copyshop and enlarge it 240%. That may be easy enough if you live in an urban area but for those of us in good old rural Ontario, the copyshop may be 30 miles away! At least if they give me the dimensions, I can draw it out on newsprint if nothing else.
    Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Yes, I feel a bit jipped when I open a pattern and there are no pieces; sometimes I get confused and mess up my measuring and don't realize it until it is too late. One such example is the pattern that is so popular on here (I've only made one!). When we pay $7 to $12 for a pattern I feel we shouldn't be out of line expecting clear instructions or pattern pieces that we don't have to enlarge in order to use.
    Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 AM

I like having a pattern piece also so I use sheets of parchment paper that are used to line cookie sheets, the white ones that are see thru and make my pieces. The directions are a pain to follow!!! So i try to remember what i did and write my own notes on the pattern i trace or right on the printed pattern directions. It is awful what they charge for the patterns as to what you ;actually receive. I will step down from my soap box now. Thanks. LOL
    Old 12-18-2011, 09:03 AM

What I have discovered over the years aside from the lousy patterns you have all been talking about is that many people, even instructors of quilting don't have a basic knowledge of sewing dos and don'ts. Things like straight of grain etc. are very important in the successful creation of anything made with cloth. Those who have some training in garment construction are able to create quilt related items with a much better outcome. Knowing when to stabilize a fabric and what to use for a stabilizer etc. can mean the difference between success and failure especially when making accessories or things that will hang. Using fabrics of similar weight and density of weave produces I much more pleasing finished work. We have all seen beautifuly pieced items that were marred by seam allowances showing through because the lighter pieces were to transparent for the darker ajourning pieces etc. A basic knowledge of different stitch lengths and their uses also produces a better outcome. Quilted garments or accessories that fall apart when laundered probably were not properly stitched or the fabrics were not compatable.
    New quilters will be more successful if they get some basic instruction in sewing skills before investing in expensive materials and lots of gadgets for quilting.
    Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM

I do not buy them anymore. I get so many free in the quilting mag.'s. I have made pattern's from them and use them for all by changing them around. I can look at a bag and copy it with patterns I have already made.
    Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM

I too come from a sewing of clothing background and prefer to have a paper pattern. What irritates me even more than having to draw my own paper pattern is trying to decipher the instructions. There are certainly some people who can't write instructions in a manner that's easily understood by everyone.
    Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM

I bought a pattern for a purse then discovered it is all direction with measurements for the pieces. I had to draw out the pieces on drawing paper and then continue the next day with cutting the fabrics. Almost became TOO much fun!!!!! But now I have the paper pieces and plan on making this purse again. I think written dimension patterns should be priced less than the ones with all the real pieces.
    Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 AM

I am curious. Why would you make a paper pattern? Wouldn't it be the same thing to just cut the fabric as you would the paper? As long as the pattern has the graphics along with the dimentions, it's ok with me. Now if there were no graphics, then I would be peeved lol.