Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What inspired you to start quilting? >
  • What inspired you to start quilting?

• What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 AM

My Granddaughter, Dawn, was pregnant with her first child (16 years ago) and her husband was in the Army so she took a quilting class. She came home from her first class and insisted that I learn how to quilt. Well, being a good grammy, I gave in and learned and now I am hooked. Thank God for Grandchildren, now I have 4 great grand children and 6 grandchildren.
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 AM

I learned to embroider at 10...then found an article, pictured in my avatar, of a crazy quilt...that was in 1970...and I have been hooked ever since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

sewing clothes and wearables since I was a kid... DG taught me on a treadle with a knee-bar fitting when I was little. Made blankies from her scraps for my stuffed animals, and repaired my own skirts. I never called that quilting when i was little...

I actually avoided quilting like the plague because I am such a perfectionist... was afraid I'd never finish a project because I'd be too picky and such...

but one day I thought "I know nothing about quilting, but its all just math, I'll give this a shot"... so I planned a quilt on point, sashing & cornerstones, extensions of design into the borders... in my kids school colors, and my husband "claimed" it... wouldn't let me throw it away!

The rest is history. I hate the first quilt, I see every little booboo, but then started googling away, and the rest is history. Got lucky on FMQ and it is like 2nd nature to me... so now I am to the stage of designing my own panto designs, my own quilting stitch motifs, quilt patterns, etc. Have never looked back!!!
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 AM

In the 80s my 4 daughters were finally all in school so I took a local quilting class. Then in the 90s I returned to the work force and put it aside. Now I am retired and have renewed my love of quilting. I have never been happier!
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 AM

My friend quilted. When we lived in IA. I didn't have the time for her to teach me. We moved to FL., and we would talk on the phone with her explaining how I should be doing it. Then when I'd visit her she would tell me if I followed her directions like she told me. We had a lot of laughs over my quilts. When I make my quilts I think of her, and how much fun it was, sadly she has passed away.
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 AM

My grandmother. I loved her quilts from the first time I saw them as a little girl. I didn't learn until I was 54. I just wish my grandmother could see my quilts but she was long ago gone by the time I learned.
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM

School came up with a club/activity time for jr high -- I was going to teach hand embroidery -- friend was doing quilting, and I got hooked watching her and listening to her instructions and quilting stories over the semester --that was 30 years ago and I'm still hooked on quilting and think her of often (she was very, very good!)
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM
    Jim

I was an art major in college(as was my wife) and always did artsy things. When I was disabled in '95, I started quilting to keep my mind busy and keep me sane(debatable). My blessed MIL had been painting with oils and had transitioned over to quilting and she inspired me. That was 100's of quilts ago. My wife and I now have an in-home quilting business. I make the tops and she works the quilting machine. I have made over 100 memory quilts and other custom work. My kids and grandkids all have several. I'd love to have more time now to work only on my projects but, the extra income helps me to afford my quilting addiction.
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I love fabric. I don't just quilt. I love creating all kinds of things with fabric. From clothing to dolls to wall art.
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    What inspired you to start quilting?
    After burning out on crafts, I needed a creative outlet & had loved the idea of quilting but was reluctant to start buying the supplies it takes. Seems like every hobby requires so many tools. After coming here for the winter, people were quilting so that was my push to start. Now it's my passion.