• Main
  • What inspired you to start quilting? >
  • What inspired you to start quilting?

• What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM
    Google Goddess

What inspired you to start quilting?
    Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 PM

I have been sewing ever since I was 12 y/o and love it. Made a hand quilt with one of the older ladies on my blcok and though what a wonderful idea. To give a hand made gift to a relative or friend and see the expression on their face was estatic. So here I am. I made a lot of crafts, slowing moving toward the quilting. It is also a stress reliever after a 12 hour work shift.

Sewfine
    Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 PM

My mother is a crafter and she taught me knitting, crochet and embroidery when I was a child. I was already an adult when I found some books about patchwork quilts - and that was the moment I was completely hooked. I noticed quite soon that I love the hand quilting part most than the sewing part and I started to do wholecloths. The more I do the more I am addicted!
    Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 PM
    Power Poster

Actuall my DH loaded me up took me to the quilt shop and signed me up. He thought I was spending too much money on my soap and cloth doll making hobbies. Little did he know he opened pandoras box at that time. Fortunately he is a staunch supporter.
    Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally, took a weekend class here in Vanuatu (18 years ago) taught by the headmistress of my son's school as a fundraiser to buy a cotton candy machine to use for fundraising for the school. She held 3 classes during the school year. Didn't get the bug then. Skip ahead 10 years, found my UFO from the second class (truly-truly, an ugly quilt-not the pattern, but my fabric choices!) and decided to finish hand-quilting it to fill in time. That was when the bug bit!! I haven't looked back! I was only taught hand-quilting, so I am still afraid of machine quilting-except the recent few wall quilts and appliance covers I experimented with.
    Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 AM

I come from a non-sewing, non-quilting family. :-( I was inspired to quilt by a lady who was hand-piecing and hand-sewing a Dear Jane. Her daughter and my daughter had a dance class together and Donna would bring her Dear Jane blocks to work on while we waited. I was intrigued and started asking her tons of questions. She obliged and shared her love of quilting with me. I decided to try a simple nine patch design and was immediately hooked. That was about 6 years ago and I'm still going strong. I'm proud to say that I am completely self-taught and still learning things everyday.
    Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM
    Power Poster

I always did assorted crafts. Honestly, I don't know what triggered the quilting bug other than our new house NEEDED a handmade quilt.
    Old 04-16-2011, 12:46 AM

One of my favorite Aunts quilted as I was growing up & I liked what I saw. Since I've sewn since age 8, I thought it looked like fun & got a book & fabric for a log cabin quilt. We moved, I didn't know how to finish it, found a quilting friend who shared some info so I sandwiched it (with straight pins..an oversized queen quilt)& it sat for another 12 yrs because there was a blood-letting every time I handled it. Last year after chemo ended I wanted to make a lap quilt & I got hooked. Love how I keep learning more & more!! Thank you all!
    Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 AM

when i retired, i needed a hobby for the winter months. i took a class at Joanns,basics and a rag quilt class. i was hooked! after making 10 or more raggedy quilts, i realized i needed to branch out!

then a couple weeks later, i met a lady at a birthday party, and she invited me to the gathering of girls,they meet up every wednesday at the community senior center...been going ever since..6 years now!
    Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 AM

I love to sew since I was five and I had tons of scraps so I just started making quilts after I had a baby