Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What I've learned about Quilting.... >
  • What I've learned about Quilting....

• What I've learned about Quilting....

Old 04-26-2013, 04:08 AM

How freely the quilters here are with sharing their experience and know how!!
    Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Puddin57
    for me it was the difference between ironing and pressing
    This was my fave too. I had no idea regular ironing stretched out the fabric! What a difference doing it the correct way!

I've learned that I don't even need a pattern much of the time. I just find a block I like, or make one up, and then add whatever borders I want and use the colors I like and combine them however I choose and voila! a quilt that I love emerges!

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I had not heard about the cookie sheet, but now I just thought about using my wooden rolling pin. I wonder how that would work?
    a rolling pin sounds like a great idea, especially with smoothing the backing
    Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 AM
    Power Poster

So many ideas, designs, tips and encouragement on this board. Quilt police are banned from my house. If they enter on a Trojan horse, they get shot out like a rocket.
    Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM

Okay, seriously, somebody has to post a link to this cookie sheet tip, because I've never heard of it either! I'm always up for a new technique using household items!

Is it just - use the cookie sheet instead of your hands to smooth out the top/batting/backing? Because you can smooth more all at once?
    Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
    I've learned that I don't even need a pattern much of the time. I just find a block I like, or make one up, and then add whatever borders I want and use the colors I like and combine them however I choose and voila! a quilt that I love emerges!
    agree, for the little quilting i do do, most of the time it's made up of different patterns.
    What I've learned most from this board is that the world is not as bad as it's made to seem when you've got the love of complete strangers on your side, there to help whenever you call.
    Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 AM

I really enjoy everyone's input on a question or problem that are on the board. It is enjoyable to read all the input. I am a self taught quilter and cannot believe how many of the board members are self taught too. Thanks for being there all of the members.
    Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM

I too, have learned so very much from the members of this board..thank to all of you for sharing your opinions, directions, experience and tips to those of us who need it. Experience info is the best way to learn, at least from me, I am a person that learns from looking at the directions, either printed or on pictures, therefore this Board is a no brainer for me.
    Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM

The last quilt I sandwiched, I thought about using a rolling pin to press the glue into the fabrics and backing, but I didn't do it. I WALKED on it. It was on the floor, so I stepped to the left, brought my other foot up to that one and stepped again - across the quilt.

The cookie sheet would be used for that also. Pressing the fabrics together; a larger area at a a time. I don't think you can use it for smoothing.

I have a note book that I have been writing in since I started on this board. I have looked back and found things that I was looking for. What a mountain of information I get here; and sometimes I just go back and read my notes and find things that I had forgotten about.