Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what kind of fabrics do you buy the most. >
  • what kind of fabrics do you buy the most.

• what kind of fabrics do you buy the most.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 PM

I also like batiks but don't buy them much unless I've got a project in mind. Lately I've been into flannels. There are some nice heavy weight soft as butter flannels that I like to use for backing or kids' quilts. Our LQS just got some in & I can't keep my hands off them!
    Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    I buy good quality fabric, not fabric from Wal-mart or JoAnn's. I seem to like the blender fabrics. My first pick is 100% cotton, then I also like to use flannel depending on what I'm making. I really don't care for Batik's but I know a lot of people do. They just don't do anything for me.
    "Unfortunately" those (WalMart and JoAnn) are the only fabrics I can afford so feed my habit of quilting. So I choose the best that I can. When I spot a fabric that attracts me, it is usually a focus fabric. At the time I purchase it (with no pattern in mind yet) I try to choose a couple of blenders to go with it. But sometimes I use the blenders before I use the focus fabric. Then it's back to the drawing board or back to the store. We have no more WalMart and I go to JoAnn's less and less. Our LQS tries to keep a good variety so that "we" can shop there. I have been drawn to some of the "better" fabrics that have been a dream to stitch.

My stash needs more neutrals and blenders. I'm getting pretty low on the Moda marbles too.
    Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Period fabrics and florals, pastels. I am really bad at NOT buying solids. When I make a quilt I usually have to go out and buy my solid fabrics.
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM

When I buy fabric I usually get anything that catches my eyes, but most of my fabrics, about 90% of them have been donated to me and I love them all.
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Oh my! How fabulous to have someone give you fabric! Where is Running Springs?
    Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM

I fell in love with batiks a few years back. I saw a quilt hanging at my LQS and bought the pattern and started collecting fat quarters and half yards to make this lap sized quilt. I collected so many fabrics that I had enough to make a queen sized version of the design for my bed. Then in the middle of working on it we got a King sized mattress - I still had enough to fit the new bed. All my squares are done and I plan to finish the quilt after the holidays. Lesson here - never be afraid to buy a lot of what you like!!
    Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM

try some of the links for on line stores. i've been happy with all that i purchased. many are having great sales now. heard there will be a huge increase in prices in 2011.
    Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Along with quilting, I also make different styles of tote bags for boaters using both denim and nautical fabrics. This past fall my husband and I spent 2 months on the east coast of Canada. While in Mahone Bay N.S. I found the mother load of nautical fabric, 76 meters later I left a very happy sales clerk behind. Fortunetly we drove to the east coast and had plenty of room for my stash. My husband as you probably can tell is very tolerent of my shopping habits, and actually helped pick the fabric out.
    One of these days I hope to make a quilt using mainly nautical fabric for our sail boat. Now I am falling in love with batiks, and have started a quilt for my daughter with them.
    Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
    Power Poster

quilting cottons goes without saying, but the colors, prints, etc. :
    florals! :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:
    Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Moda! Moda! Moda! I am drawn to anything Moda like a moth to a flame. I am also very fond of the autumn colors. And green is my favorite color.