Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >
  • What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

• What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:48 PM

I like to make miniature quilts and they can be of anything, and all the proceeds go to Alzheimer's Research - http://alzquilts.org

You can make ANYTHING for them as long as it's max size of 9x12. Sometimes I make a large quilt, and cut it up into that size.
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:57 PM

Oh! I forgot - I make charity quilts for a safe place for runaway teens in my area. All teen quilts are so welcome, they love brighter, bold or darker colors.

Make what you love, believe me, everything you make and give will be cherished.
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM

I make quilts for Project Linus. I often use the warm wishes pattern, nine patch, rail fence etc. These go together pretty quick. I also crochet blankets for them too. A church in a town over from where I live is a drop off place for Linus. You will find charity quilts make your heart happy. Remember, the gift is in the giving. Good luck!!
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM

I collect quilts for Camp Erin, a camp for grieving children. We always gets a lot of pretty or cutesy girl quilts, just gorgeous quilts with lots of adorable animals, flowers, and pink.

But we are always scrambling to get appropriate quilts for boys, especially teen boys.

They don't need to be fancy; they just need to be colorful and made with love. And teen boys love bright quilts with black fabric! Tigers! Basketballs! Guitars! Trucks! Your quilts would rock.

Disappearing Fourpatch
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]167881[/ATTACH]

Card Trick
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]167882[/ATTACH]

Quilts on the kids' bunks at Camp Erin
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]167883[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-167876.jpe   attachment-167877.jpe   attachment-167878.jpe  
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM

I think it depends on what is available in your area. Do you have local shelters or hospitals that take donations? Is there a place to drop off quilts for organizations like Project Linus?

It also depends on whether you like to "do your own thing" or follow someone else's requirements. One of the reasons I like Project Linus is that they always seem to appreciate a wide variety of quilts, and I like to be able to make whatever pattern or fabric that happens to catch my fancy.

If you do make quilts that would be loved by preteens or teens, I'm sure those are probably in short supply almost everywhere. When people make charity quilts, they usually think of babies or small children, and their quilts reflect that. Quilts for older kids would be especially great.

Blessings to you for thinking of others!
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

I've made two quilts for charity, and they've both been sampler scrap quilts. I'm working on another that is more of a controlled scrappy, too.

I give the quilts to the local CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) office, and they give them to kids who are in foster care.
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM

My daughter quilts and I use her scraps to make doll quilts. I just started and after I have 5 or so I will drop them off at Battered Women Shelters in the area along with a litte baby doll.
    Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM

I've donated many quilts to local women's shelter, homeless shelters, foster kids and have made several larger quilts for the local Humane Society for them to raffle it off and raise money that way. All of them have always been absolutely thrilled with them and they don't have any requirements of what materials are used, patterns, etc.
    Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 PM

Most of my charity quilts go to St Jude or our local food pantry.
    They need all kinds and sizes But I think the teens and young adults are the ones that need a few more..Seems like everyone likes quilting for the little ones. Pluse we can finish the smaller quilts faster and they use less fabric so those stashes can be put to better use than taking up space. Also more space gives me an excuse to fill it up with more fabric.TEEHEE) Some of us also make hats, mittens, dolls and teddy bears. Its my sanity stabilizer,cheaper than Prozac
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Do you have a home for un-wed mothers? Or a Life clinic that gives to ladies who are pregnant. Do you have an Children's home somewhere, or a place that houses homeless families. There are so many places that would love to have quilts to give to their clients.