Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >
  • What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

• What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Jennifer22206, how cool that you make quilts for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Iniative. Ami Simms will be in Jupiter, FL this Fri, 1/26 (I'm working and won't be able to attend) but here's a link you might like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46NvZUNI6w
    Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM

I have 4 in progress right now to send to Afganistan. 1 is the D9P, #2 is made from a picture in connecting threads mag, #3 is a log cabin with 2 1/2 inch strips, and #4 is a four patch, cut across and stips added. All average 50 x 65 give or take.

I have a pattern for an alternate 9 patch, 3 yards of fabric make 3 tops, I make for project linus.
    Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Most program directors at Head Start know of those in need---seven of my quilts found homes that way last year. One family had no heat--and it gets COLD here!
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM

I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them.
    I think there is a need for this type of charity quilt. Not just young children are in hospitals, teenagers are there too. Shelters are a good option, too. I don't see many charity organizations geared toward teenagers. Maybe you can call your local hospital auxiliary and ask if they have this need? I think a teen would love a heavy metal/video game themed quilt...much more than a teddy bear or choochoo train quilt that was made with a young child in mind.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches.
    That sounds beautiful, but check to make sure your charity/hospital accepts rag quilts. Many do not.
    Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 AM

I make a charity children's quilt every month. Usually the patterns are fairly simple but I use either my fabric or the fabric my guild has received. Our Bee provides 15 to 18 quilts a month for the women's shelter, the local police departments, and Child Protective Service. It has really improved my quilting skills.
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 AM

I make Downey quilts for kids, sent one off Monday, Quilts of Valor for injured servicemen, Riley quilts (for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis, and quilts for the WIC program, (Women, Infants, and Children). When I don't know what to do next, I go through my scraps and make a charity quilt.
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Dr. Laura's kids and a local children with cancer camp.
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 AM

I made the Wizard of Oz wall hanging type quilt for a themed charity auction, but ended up buying it back because it was going too low. Gave it to my aunt for Christmas. I think I'd stick with making something that is going to be used for someone to stay warm who wouldn't otherwise. Then it will be appreciated!
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 AM

My guild does 40-50 quilts per year. I long arm them gratis.
    Mary
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
    I stay away from the organizations because they regulate me from the spirit that gives me release..Blessings, Ruth
    I feel the same way. I have special skills to learn and prefer to learn them from professionals in a class, then work at my own pace and enjoy the process. I just love every quilt I make with my own hands and am not in competition with anyone. Competitions kills my spirit. If some one wants to share ideas in a generous spirit that's my cup of tea.