Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What machine do you use for piecing/quilting >
  • What machine do you use for piecing/quilting

• What machine do you use for piecing/quilting

Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM

I use my Pfaff 2030 for just about everything...love it! I also have a Pfaff Grand Quilter, with a walking foot for anything very large, and am trying to learn FMQ on it.

Sue
    Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM

I peice and quilt with a Viking Sapphire 980. Love everything it does.
    Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy
    I feel bad, I only have my Bernina 153 that I've had for 8 years. Some of you have choices!, of course this way I don't have to decide which machine I am going to use!

Don't feel badly Lucky Lindy. I have a total of 4 sewing machines but they are, my 1st machine I bought in the 70's, upgraded in the 90's, upgraded again, and my mothers sewing machine in a cabinet. I have never traded a machine in, just kept it. But....I also have 2 embroidery machines,(3 if you count the pfaff which is a combo machine) a serger, a coverstitch machine and an Embellisher. All the latter are Babylock machines, Oh...forgot to add the 1896 Singer treadle but I'm too stupid to use that one! Most of my machines all serve different purposes.
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to say as I've never heard my machine mentioned on any quilting site. It's a Simplicity SW240 Quilters Classic. What's the deal? Is this an inferior machine or something? Well, for whatever reason I LOVE IT!!! It was reasonably priced, has metal gears and humms like a dream for me. It's all I've ever used for piecing/quilting and for me it works great. I've recently aquired TWO Singer 221 featherweights. A 1948 and a Centennial 1951. I've just tinkered with them so far. Haven't had a chance to sew anything on them yet, but I can't wait. In the meantime I'm very pleased and content with my Simplicity. It does everything I need it to and much more.
    Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 AM

Quilterguy....I had a Simplicity machine (don't remember the model) several years ago. It worked great and why I got rid of it is beyond me :( Probably because I upgraded to a Brother embroidery/sewing machine and thought I only needed to have the one machine. WRONG! It wasn't long until I bought another Brother machine (like the Simplicity) to use for piecing. That way I wasn't changing the embroidery machine back and forth. You are sooooo lucky to get 2 Featherweights!!! I'm envious!! How did you acquire them?
    Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM

I piece with my Janome MC4000. I quilt with my New Home and sometimes the Janome.
    Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Quilterguy....I had a Simplicity machine (don't remember the model) several years ago. It worked great and why I got rid of it is beyond me :( Probably because I upgraded to a Brother embroidery/sewing machine and thought I only needed to have the one machine. WRONG! It wasn't long until I bought another Brother machine (like the Simplicity) to use for piecing. That way I wasn't changing the embroidery machine back and forth. You are sooooo lucky to get 2 Featherweights!!! I'm envious!! How did you acquire them?
    I got the '51 from eBay and the other I bought from a guy named John Bryant (featherweight poppy) in Salisbury, NC. Great guy, great machine, & great service. If I needed another one I'd be getting in touch with him again.
    Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 AM

how do we who have more than one machine decide which one to use? the one with the right color thread on it, LOL
    Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 PM

I, too, got my Featherweight from John Bryant. Like you, I was very pleased. Price was great and condition great. Saw a dealer selling them for $750 at the American Quilters Society quilt show at Knoxville yesterday. Use it at my Care Quilters group at church, have a Viking #1 at home. Miss my Pfaff with the built-in walking foot, though.
    Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM

I use my Janome DC 2010