Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what to make for flea markets and craft market >
  • what to make for flea markets and craft market

• what to make for flea markets and craft market

Old 08-21-2018, 04:06 AM

Pet items. Doggie scarves, collar covers, leashes, Kitty blankets (small quilts) stuffed catnip mice. Have a stuffed dog on your table top show off those scarves. Folks will shell out the bucks for their fur babies! You might also do well with baby items. Things such as designer burp cloths and bib, hair ribbons, onesies or Tshirt with appliqué. Good luck with your craft market.
    Old 08-21-2018, 05:06 AM

I love snap bags (directions on youtube), leashes, harnesses (especially for cats), coin purses.
    Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 AM
    CR

I also think that doggie coats would go well; especially the quilted ones. In small, medium and large. Doggie coats at the pet shops are really expensive.
    Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

More and more people are carrying their own bags to the grocery store, so maybe some shopping bags? There are lots of free patterns online.

Christmas aprons might be fun at a Fall craft show, too.

I agree with anything for dogs... Maybe pet feeding mats?

Good luck Becky!
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 AM

I would consider making Instant Pot covers. I don't know how they'd sell but with the popularity of the pot, it seems they would go over well. I've seen some covers on Amazon, but imagine that they'd be much prettier made with a batik or something.
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Look closely at who will be coming to the event. I do one faire that is heavily attended by younger folks (it is next door to a college campus) and stock it very heavily with microwave potholders (displayed with examples!). I have lots of tote bags and messenger bags sized from tablets to laptops. I do one that is at a church hall close to the holidays so I have lots of ornaments, decorations and small toys for children (fabric books and unusual animals sell very well). As with anything, know your market. But, take a variety so you something for everyone. Please take some time to make a 'test' display at your house. Your display is what will bring them in. Even if it is just a table, vary the height and add baskets for people to dig thru. You can vary the height by placing containers under you cloth - it adds visual interest. Have LOTS of change and have fun!!!!!
    Old 08-22-2018, 04:47 AM

Anything that is different and unique. Lots of booths will have the same items. Quality is also important.
    Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 AM

It depends on the market, are you in the south, big city life, small community, college town. Ask your friends what they would buy and what they would be willing to pay. I agree with lindaschipper above, no microwave bowls, the market is over saturated with them. I've seen them 3 for $5.00, no profit there. Pet items always seem to be big sellers at craft fairs I've attended. Reusable shopping bags are also popular. Regular tote bags are not big sellers, ladies want ones with pockets, no pockets, longer straps, bigger, smaller, etc. Stick to something with no options. Eyeglass cases with a snap or velcro closure is a good seller as well as iPad bags with a closure.
    Old 08-22-2018, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

Drawstring bags sold out fast at our booth. We made them themed for kids. Boys had toy truck fabric, legos, dino, etc. Girls had girly theme. Some generic like crayons, animals... A lot of the bigger drawstring bags were made from camo fabric. They sold fast too. The satin and velvet ones were a hit with teen girls. We made them all sizes and made sure the top stitch thread matched the fabric. No contrasting thread to show. We used quality cording to match the fancy ones and colored shoe strings to match for the kid bags. Themed pillow cases sold fast too. The items that looked homemade didn't sell. Handmade is the key.
    Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 AM

No matter what you make it will be the fabric that catches the eye of the customer. We sell out of microwave bowls no matter how many we make. Also, those scrubbies crocheted from tulle are very popular. (The men even like them for their car to remove tar and bugs, I'm told.) We never seem to have enough potato baker bags, either.