Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What makes your quilting/sewing room so special? >
  • What makes your quilting/sewing room so special?

• What makes your quilting/sewing room so special?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 PM

I was in the process of setting up my quilting room in our spare bedroom downstairs. It was going to be my special, all mine, quiet room. Well we have an unexpected guest staying with us for a while, so I have put some of the finishing touches for my room on hold. But I always love to hear how some of you have made your quilting rooms like your personal sanctuary and a place you love to be. I was curious what some you have added to or have done to your rooms that make them such a special place?
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM

What's special about my sewing area: Well I really must say, I have alot of room to move around. It is not really set up as a sewing room. I use part of the basement and have not set up any shelves or walls for quilting or sewing notions! I am some organized though even without those. lol
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM

I love my room. I not only have great sewing supplies, lots of room, music, and a tv, I have a treadle and rocking chair that belonged to my grandmother in law. I was always in awe of her hand quilting and other hand work sitting in that chair. It is like she is there smiling with me.
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM
    Power Poster

I love my room b/c every single thing in it is mine alone. There is no reason for anyone else to go in there. I love my family to death but I need my "space". I have some other things besides sewing items but mostly sewing related.
    Virginia Woolf wrote about "A Room of One's Own".
    She was far ahead of her time! :)
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM

In my sewing room (the spare bedroom) I can do whatever I want. DH has a corner for his tools and a comfy chair in case he needs it, but I have all the things I want on the walls, and I have all the storage I need. This is my spot to arrange or rearrange as I want without asking DH or worrying about intruding on him. That's what makes it special. Everything is arranged for ME.
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM

The "thing" that makes it special is that it's all mine, and no one else needs to be in here. I have everything that is needed for my quilting. I have my computer, my Bose radio/CD player and a DVD player. The walls are covered with pictures of my kids and GC, my cross stitch samplers, and a quilted wallhanging. I could stay in here for hours and hours....in fact, I do!
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM

My sewing room is special to me because it is my room and where i can get away by myself.
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
    I was in the process of setting up my quilting room in our spare bedroom downstairs. It was going to be my special, all mine, quiet room. Well we have an unexpected guest staying with us for a while, so I have put some of the finishing touches for my room on hold. But I always love to hear how some of you have made your quilting rooms like your personal sanctuary and a place you love to be. I was curious what some you have added to or have done to your rooms that make them such a special place?
    My sewing room is my bedroom and part of the living room but I must say it feels special to me because of the doll quilts that I have hung on the wall from wonderful board members. I really love looking at them every day.
    Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    My sewing room is special to me because it is my room and where i can get away by myself.
    Ditto with one exception - my dog thinks its his room too :mrgreen:
    Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Because it's MY sewing space. I don't have to pack it up every Thanksgiving like I use to & drag it all back out after the first of the year. If it's a disaster zone, which it is alot of the time, I just close the door. No one gets upset with me because of my mess! I do clean up in between projects & right now I am in the middle of about 4 projects so you can imagine what it looks like. Each day tho I am closer to being done & clean it back up!