Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What marker to use >
  • What marker to use

• What marker to use

Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 AM
    Power Poster

FYI, I had a bad time with Crayola markers. used green on yellow fabric (tested fine of course) and it took six washings with everything I had to get them out of the border. I gave them away after that.
    Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

I buy and try all the new marking pencils. They all seem to do the job. I like the ones that are easy to remove with no time involved. For light fabrics I use Frixion pens and for dark fabrics I use regular chalk. I sharpen the end to a fine point using a pencil sharpener. I have gone back to the water soluble blue pen for large area markings on light fabric now that I can buy the Blue Line Eraser product.
    Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM

I LOVE the Crayolas. I've had the marks be on the quilt for 4-6 months and wash out completely. I followed a hint to soak the quilt for 20 mins then wash as normal. Also for quilting or hand quilting I use #7738 from the following link

http://www.brewersewing.com/BQSS_Con...=48&offset=672
    Very fine point. Tip: I store mine upside down inside my bra to keep it warm while using it! Erases quite quickly depending how heavily its used. I use this one for hand quilting small blocks - QAYG style.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Crayola washable markers work really well. Test on some scraps to make sure the marker washes out.
    Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM

I LOVE the Crayolas. I've had the marks be on the quilt for 4-6 months and wash out completely. I followed a hint to soak the quilt for 20 mins then wash as normal. Also for quilting or hand quilting I use #7738 from the following link

http://www.brewersewing.com/BQSS_Con...=48&offset=672
    Very fine point. Tip: I store mine upside down inside my bra to keep it warm while using it! Erases quite quickly depending how heavily its used. I use this one for hand quilting small blocks - QAYG style.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Crayola washable markers work really well. Test on some scraps to make sure the marker washes out.
    On dark fabrics the Clover Chaco liner works best for me. I find that after marking and just before sewing if you blow on the marked line it takes most of the "free" chalk of the top so it doesn't get "stitched into" the fabric but is still very visible. Never had a problem with the lines not disappearing.
    Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 AM

I have become a Pouncer!