Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What method do you use for drafting patterns? >
  • What method do you use for drafting patterns?

• What method do you use for drafting patterns?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 AM

http://www.quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm
    Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM

I use EQ4 to draw pictures of the quilts I am designing - it's particularly helpful for telling me how big my quilt is without having to do that math over and over as I play with borders, sashings, changing the block size, etc. and also for printing out pictures for reference. I also like it for gauging values and contrasts. But for actually drafting a pattern or drawing pictures of the step-by-step process, I usually use AutoSketch - a light version of AutoCad - and do the math by hand for cutting instructions and yardage.
    Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM

I am also a drafter by trade, so sometimes I use AutoCAD to draft a pattern. My mom relies heavily on this ability! I have used graph paper and colored pencils quite a bit as well. I also have EQ5, which I had on my Christmas list one year, and I love it. I don't use it a lot, because I work 40 hours a week (and lately it's actually been 50+). But when I have had the time, EQ5 has been very helpful. The instructions are aimed at even novice computer users. So even though I need to relearn it after a long period away from it, it's still do-able. Switching colors is super fast - as compared to impossible with colored pencils. Also, in case anyone is wondering, the Quiltmaker Quilt Design CD's can be used with EQ5 - you don't have to buy EQ6. Has anyone out there tried quiltncalc (quiltncalc.com)? When I made a note of it to myself (pre-EQ5) it was $89.95. As I recall it looked like a pretty nifty, calculator sized gizmo specifically designed for calculating your quilt yardage. If the price has stayed down, it might be more affordable than EQ6.
    Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM

I don't want to alarm anyone or act like the software police, but purchasing one license of a software product like EQ5 or EQ6 gives you the right to use that product on only one PC. If you need it loaded on more than one PC, you need to purchase a license for each one. Unless you have some way of guaranteeing only one PC can be used at a time.
    Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
    Banned

i purchase software for the corporation i work for and you pay per user - thats the difference between a corp and individual license.

i am the only user of my EQ, as the user i am allowed by law to back up and have the software on my computer and on my back up.
    Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis
    I am also a drafter by trade, so sometimes I use AutoCAD to draft a pattern..
    Would AutoCAD allow color changes? Maybe I could get one of the techs at work to help me out this week! LOL
    Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 AM

Out of curiousity how much does EQ6 cost in the US? Lowest I've seen it here in the UK is £110 ($160).
    Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 AM
    Banned

it costs around $150 - you can shop it around and save a few bucks but i think EQ puts a limit on how low the price can go.
    Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 AM
    Power Poster

I use paper , pencil and my felt wall! I love sitting and figuring things out. Have two programs on computer, but don't use them.

Ninnie

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 AM

Would AutoCAD allow color changes? Maybe I could get one of the techs at work to help me out this week! LOL
    carrieg,
    Yes, you can change the colors. Who knows, maybe the techs would be interested in designing quilts, too. Or maybe they would teach you how to use the software enough to fly solo.