Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt? >
  • What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

• What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:25 AM

Seems like the last few years there has been a lot said about, "Don't ask, don't tell". Of course I know this was not meant for quilting, but sounds like a good rule to follow when it comes to the cost of fabrics, and in the years to come when I have left this world, I hope the memories for my family will be priceless.
    Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 AM

I don't keep up with how much I spend, bc sometimes I use fabric from my stash and that's free isn't it? Sometimes I do have to buy one or two pieces to finish the quilt. I have started to keep up with my time.
    On this quilt I spent 35 hours sewing. Here's the break down. 7 minutes per block for applique, top 25 hours, quilting 4.5, binding 5.5. This quilt is for my DD's bible study group to raffle so they can futher their ministry. I provided most of the supplies. They did buy the batting and backing. I wanted a really girly pattern that's why the dresses. Their colors are pink and brown.

close up of one block
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]65028[/ATTACH]

finished quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]65029[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-65023.jpe   attachment-65024.jpe  
    Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM

What a cute idea for a girlie quilt. I like the colors also.
    Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Sassy said, "I have enough material it takes a room to store but I have never had the guts to make a single quilt yet. I loose confidence at the cutting."

I understand exactly what you are saying. I have made it passed you but not by much. I have 4 quilt tops in various stages of being complete. I lose my confidence when it comes to finishing it. I want to quilt my own quilts on my machine but have not made time to practice... mostly out of fear of trying it.

You and I should challenge each other by setting a date to make it to the next stage of quilting... whatever stage is holding us up from completing our quilt(s)! What do you say? :)
    Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM

I'm afraid to figure what I have in the different quilts that I have made. I always put on the label made with love.
    because if you add up time,cost of supply's etc it's got to be made with love.
    Also husband doesn't know what I spend and also what I have on hand.
    He collects antique telephones,G scale model trains and has 2 out door layouts. Years ago I figured he had $10,000 in trains so I decided after that I didn't want to know. The phones i know I really don't want to know.
    I don't ask and I don't tell what I have. kjym Kathy
    Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM

The amount of money can never compare to the amount of love you put into each quilt. Money is finite, love is infinite. Cheaper than a therapist and it keeps you off the street and out of bars lol.

Margie
    Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM

$200--fabrics for the quilt top
    $45--batting
    $75--fabric for the backing and binding
    $225--paid a long arm quilter to quilt it
    $priceless---look on my son's face when he got his quilt
    Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
    My husband is a fisherman, retired fishing guide. He never questions the money I spend for quilting and sewing.
    Try to figure out how much one fish caught actually costs!!!!
    Do we really want to go there?????

Ditter
    LOL - I read this to my DH who is also a fisherman (not professional). He didn't find it funny. ROFLMAO

When I first started quilting it was imperative that I be thrifty. Now that we are empty nesters I never buy fabric anywhere but my LQS's and occasionally online for wide backing fabric. But I can say this in my own defense: I pick a pattern and go to the quilt shop and buy only the fabric to make that quilt. I always buy a little extra of every cut just in case. I don't let myself buy fabric just because it's screaming at me from the shelf. At this point in my life I'm enjoying the chance to be a fabric snob which will help keep the quilt shops in business. There may come a time when I can't go into the quilt shops. Oh, and the quilt shop closest to me has a 25% off everything at least one day a month to show customer appreciation.
    Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 PM

I guess I firgue, it is what it is! I don't even think about it as much as how much I love the quilt.
    I know the one I spent the most on, is my least favorite. I put it in my dh truck!
    Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM

My husband is also a quilter and made a 100"x100" Lone Star. The fabrics were in the neighborhood of $150. He wanted to hand quilt it as it was completely hand pieced, but ran out of time for a local quilt show...so he had it long-arm quilted by a popular quilter and the price for the quilting alone was $365. He spent more than I ever have and I have been quilting for over 30 years as compared to his 15. Oh well...it is a men's world...even in quilting. By the way, the long-armer is a man!!