Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What notions are a waste of money? >
  • What notions are a waste of money?

• What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM

The pounce didn't work for me - messy, lines not clear --altho I've heard other quilters say they love it.

One notion I'd recommend is the round plastic magnetic pin holder -- I'm having a senior moment and can't think of the name, Grab-It?

Now a notions question. Yesterday I went to use my Olfa revolving cutting mat and my new rotary cutter. A few times the cutter wouldn't move and I thought I'd purchased a dud. Then I noticed some cut marks on the mat (my other Olfas have never had this problem). Does anyone know if there's some kind of tool for smoothing out nicks and cuts? Thanks for replies...........
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM

The pounce didn't work for me - messy, lines not clear --altho I've heard other quilters say they love it.

One notion I'd recommend is the round plastic magnetic pin holder -- I'm having a senior moment and can't think of the name, Grab-It?

Now a notions question. Yesterday I went to use my Olfa revolving cutting mat and my new rotary cutter. A few times the cutter wouldn't move and I thought I'd purchased a dud. Then I noticed some cut marks on the mat (my other Olfas have never had this problem). Does anyone know if there's some kind of tool for smoothing out nicks and cuts? Thanks for replies...........
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
    Power Poster

OK Worth a try. Thanks for the info and link. It would be nice to make this pounce work for me since I put some $ into it and I need something easy to mark my quilts..

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Here is the rotary cutter that I have that works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kdYDbj0aE

This phase of my quilting life I tend to buy the tools that will make the parts of quilting I find tedious more fun.
    I bought the Acuquilt Go, and the Simplicity Bias Binding machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the Pounce until I learned to use it the right way, now it works just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvWVNJHHqs
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    OK Worth a try. Thanks for the info and link. It would be nice to make this pounce work for me since I put some $ into it and I need something easy to mark my quilts..

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Here is the rotary cutter that I have that works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kdYDbj0aE

This phase of my quilting life I tend to buy the tools that will make the parts of quilting I find tedious more fun.
    I bought the Acuquilt Go, and the Simplicity Bias Binding machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the Pounce until I learned to use it the right way, now it works just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvWVNJHHqs

I think I'm going to give this a try also. This looks like it may be the ticket. :thumbup:

I bought the round one that you put oil on and it did not work at all, if anything, I think it made them worse. :thumbdown:
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
    Power Poster

I love my pounce pad and stencils. It did take time figure it out. I love my magnetic pin holder and the quilting gloves. I use a magnetic "magic wand" my DGD no longer needs to pick up pins off the floor. Works great. I don't do hand quilting but do some hand sewing. Instead of a thimble (I've never found one I like) I cut fingers off a rubber glove (the ones you use for washing dishes). They fit great and work for me. DGD calls them "the finger". I had to laugh.
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Hi, yes there is a smoothing tool for cutting mats, no sure of the name but I know I've seen them on line and in catalogs. If I run across the ad I'll let you know!
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
    I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
    I love mine
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
    I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
    Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
    I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
    (P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
    If the bobbin tower is the green one made by Clover, I absolutely love it! LOL We are all so different.
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I tried the pedicure toe separators for my bobbins and like them just fine.
    Okay, I know what pedicure toe separators are... but how do you use them with bobbins????
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM
    Banned

Marking pencils and the disappearing ink pen. It doesn't always disappear! Luckily it was on a scrappy quilt I used as practice so it doesn't matter, but I've never used it again.

I just use a regular mechanical pencil now. Works just fine.