Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What notions are a waste of money? >
  • What notions are a waste of money?

• What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
    Why is it the trash can seems to have a cover on it when it comes to getting any thread, snips, lint, etc. in it when you are sewing?

:hunf: I do at least aim at the trash can most of the time. :oops:
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 PM

try watching sharon shambers free video on bindings. her method works perfectly. sharonsahambernetwork.com
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Ok, well my clip binding clips don't stay on unless I only do a small section at a time.
    I tried those bicycle clips to hold your quilt sides (rolled), but they also come off all the time when I hand-quilt.
    My Fiskars 24" rotary ruler-which I think I will give another try before axing it.
    Every thimble I have tried except my Thimble-it oval sticky pads for my underneath finger when hand-quilting and the leather and plastic band thimbles by Clover (3 per pack) for my needle pushing finger. I LOVE those two items and won't quilt with-out them.
    I'm a gadget freek and want to try everything that comes out and still have many items I have yet to use!
    As far as magazines, I subscribe to many and yes, you can't read the name on the binding on some, but I file them in those plastic or metal magazine holders and just lable each one and they stand up nicely side by side on the shelves. Each time a new one comes it and I finish reading it, I file in the right holder in front, so they are even in date order and easier to locate a specific issue. I can't bare to cut them up, and don't have the patience to sit at the computer to look something up. I like thumbing thru them periodically - besides, I have tagged so many as "must makes", that I continually change my mind on each time I go thru them looking for my next project.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM

I have that bobbin holder and I like it a lot.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 PM

I use the SideWinder to wind my plastic bobbins. They are Pfaff bobbins. I also have the Dritz winder. I do have trouble with the plastic bobbins that came with my Janome Gem Gold though
    Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
    Go to Wal Mart and purchase "Goo Gone" it works every time. It won't harm your machine, but it does have a smell to it. The smell goes away if you use rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to clean up afterwards. Goo Gone is oily so be careful of holes and grooes when using it. I use this stuff to get sticky stuff off my marble tiles too.
    Long before Goo Gone came out, I always found the lighter fluid that people used to fill their Zippo lighters was the greatest! I've bought the Goo Gone and feel the lighter fluid still works best. Also there is no oily residue and the smell disappears quickly. The only thing is now that everyone uses disposable lighters it's getting harder to find those little bottles of lighter fluid.

:hunf:
    Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    The otion that does not work for me is the needle threader, I think by clover. Other poeple have had success with it, but I have had two and neither one has worked for me.

One other notion is Omnigrid yellow marked rulers, they give me a headache because they are too busy for me. I just bought the frosted rulers and love them.

Also I have bought several marking pencils that were recommended, didn't work for me.
    I have to wear sewing glasses and I have arthritis in my hands. I've discovered the easiest way to thread a hand sewing needle is to make a little look of thread to push thru the eye instead of a loose floppy end.
    Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
    Originally Posted by grammy17
    I bought the round flexible bobbin holder and love it. It keeps the bobbins in place and the thread does not tangle.
    I love those bobbin holders.....I have three.....it has taken my bobbins from a tangled mess in boxes to right there in front of me. I find that when I'm piecing, I'm more apt to take a bobbin with a small amount of thread on it to use up....and now I can actually see which bobbin has a small amount of thread on it.
    I have these bobbin holders also. Have had a couple for years for my old machine that uses the metal bobbin with holes all around both sides...works great! Got another for my newer Janome machine which uses plastic bobbins and they will fall out and the threads will stick out more and more as the bobbins vibrate loose in the holder.
    Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 AM
    Fox

Does the cinnamon stain the fabric if it gets wet? I don't think I could use it because I hand quilt in a room with a white-ish carpet. The color would eventually stain the carpet I'd think...but it would smell so lovely as I worked!
    Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka
    I would think that buying books, magazines, etc. for patterns is a waste of money when you can get tons of them right here on computer for free!
    this is very true, but the magazine rack in a store draws me like a magnet, i am sure going to try to curtail this,