Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What products can't you live without? >
  • What products can't you live without?

• What products can't you live without?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 AM

Watch out for the sidewinder. If you have a Viking Machine, as I do, the bobbins don't fit! Great little tool if you can use it!

Favorite tools- 60mm Olfa rotary cutter. Cuts through more layers of fabric than the 45,12.5 inch square up ruler, 4X14 ruler

I just got the Fons and Porter 1/4 inch seam markers and the Eleanor Burns flying geese tool. Both are pretty cool! I am making a quilt with a flying geese border and both are pretty handy
    Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 AM

I really like my magnetic pin cushion. I have 2 that I rotate. I keep one by the sewing machine and one where I am working.
    Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 AM

I couldn't live without printer fabric sheets, Bubble Jet Set & Rinse, and invisible thread.
    Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM

I'm going to be a little different on what I can't live without -- :D

SORTKWIK

For those of you that work in offices, you may be familiar with the product. It is a fingertip moistener that lets you sort through papers easier. It is great when you are working with material as well (counting, strip piecing, etc) It doesn't leave any marks on the material and I can get the pieces apart quick. :D
    Old 11-19-2008, 09:00 AM

What a great idea. I used that when I worked at the bank but I never thought of using it in quilting.

Thanks for the idea. Have you tried it with machine quilting?
    Old 11-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I really want the sidewinder, I am glad to hear good reviews because I didn't want to get one and it not be very good. Thank you!! :mrgreen:
    Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM
    2ME

Two things for me: Gingher thread snips (love the way they fit in the palm of my hand) and the Rowenta "Perfect" Iron. I haven't seen this iron in a long time. I bought mine at Target about a year agao and they don't carry it anymore. I hope they still make it. I've had a lot of different irons and this one is true to its name. The heat plate is made from Platinum so it conducts heat excellently.
    Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM

fabric, fabric, and more fabric....I have to say that I also purchased the Fons & Porters rotary cutter with coupon at Jo-Anns recently. I was looking to replace an old Olfa because it started cutting wobbly. I've had it for a few years and have cut a lot of heavy fabrics with it (quilters flannels, minkee, decorator fabrics, etc). I like it...A LOT. It does take a bit of getting used to at first but I've already cut my charm squares for the december exchange with them (quilters flannels) and they cut like butta through multiple layers. When I get the hang of it I'm gonna love it for sure.

OOooh and magazines. I love magazines. I don't usually follow instruction patterns but I do get a lot of ideas for individual blocks that I donate to charities. I love seeing new fabric lines and how they can be manipulated by talented quilters. I find them inspiring.
    Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM

I pulled up this link to an old thread if you're interested. There were some great ideas in there including the 3M hooks. I put them on absoulutely everything in my sewing room.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/7456.page