Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What quilt/quilts are on your bed? >
  • What quilt/quilts are on your bed?

• What quilt/quilts are on your bed?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM

nice scrappy Teddy.

The blooming nine patch is washed and put away, now through February well be Raggedy Hearts, for our 48! anniversary. The last quilt I hand quilted. (the full size image is before I added the bottom row)

I have some thoughts on workaround for our fluffy friends sleeping on the bed. For many years I used a thin spread picked up at a garage sale over my quilts. And every time I made the bed I'd think what a shame it was I couldn't actually See my quilts. I'll start a different thread for that.
    Attached Thumbnails raggedy-hearts1.jpg   raggedy-hearts.jpg  
    Old 01-21-2018, 03:05 PM

Sharyn, I LOVE that heart quilt!! Very sweet!
    Old 01-21-2018, 03:53 PM

So many lovely quilts. I do not have a homemade quilt. I have been making them for everybody else but not for myself... this must stop. I currently have a comforter I bought from Amazon that has matching pillows and shams. Someday I'll make one (or more), I hope that day comes soon. It's been mostly cost that has kept me from making one. I also haven't found that "just right" pattern. Actually, I think it's more like I see so many I love I can't decide. I have commitment issues with choosing a quilt.....
    Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Wow KalmaQuilts, what a gorgeous heart quilt. Your quilting is so beautiful, I can not make out the pattern. What an heirloom.
    Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM

Raggedy Hearts idea came from seeing a Bullseye quilt on the cover of a magazine
    like this one http://conniekresin.com/2017/07/bull...-tutorial.html

My hearts aren't cut in quarters, just a stack of three sized hearts, with a simple machine embroidery, leaving the edges ragged, or raw. The corner stones on the sashing are raw also, a cool way to add the corner stars with out the covered corner method.

I always have this cheerful quilt out for February!

boykinsmommy Get to sewing! You are special, make yourself a quilt!

In fact we are ALL special and deserve to sleep under our creations crafted with love.
    Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    Raggedy Hearts idea came from seeing a Bullseye quilt on the cover of a magazine
    like this one http://conniekresin.com/2017/07/bull...-tutorial.html

My hearts aren't cut in quarters, just a stack of three sized hearts, with a simple machine embroidery, leaving the edges ragged, or raw. The corner stones on the sashing are raw also, a cool way to add the corner stars with out the covered corner method.

I always have this cheerful quilt out for February!

boykinsmommy Get to sewing! You are special, make yourself a quilt!

In fact we are ALL special and deserve to sleep under our creations crafted with love.
    Thank you for the info.....I LOVE your quilt! I have not done raw edge Applique-do you worry about the fabric fraying when the quilt is laundered? Or do you back the pieces? Guess I need to research this technique-thank you for the inspiration.
    Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 AM

Great idea-take off of bulls eye......I have the GO die.....might work for a quick tablerunners! Thanks for the idea!

and, yes, all three beds in my house have Quilts I have made on them......and they get changed seasonally.....I take care of the quilts I make, unfortunately, I have seen those I have given to family members have not been treated well, so no more!
    Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc
    I have not done raw edge Applique-do you worry about the fabric fraying when the quilt is laundered? Or do you back the pieces? Gues.
    The fabric does rag up a bit, which is part of the charm to me. A heart or a circle are nearly all bias which in this case is a good thing, it can only ravel a tiny bit. and they are just stacked up on the background one by one and stitched around each one a less than 1/4" Inch.
    The star points were laid over the end of the sashing and stitched down 1/4" then the back trimmed off the back.

On the corner stones stars I made sure some of the quilting went across the ragged edged triangles to make sure the edges of those didn't get away from itself.

I've used the raggdy edge in two other quilts. The lozenges quilt corner triangles were raggedy, and a total strings quilt I used the technique on in the cornerstones. Neither one are favorites. They both just look sort of wore out )

Just try the bullseye tutorial, one block, it is easy and really pretty results
    Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
    Power Poster

None! I can't seem to hold onto one long enough to use it. LOL! Between family gifts and charities, my quilts go as fast as I can make them.
    Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM

All of these quilts are so beautiful and just give me so many ideas! My problem is that I never seem to keep anything I make. I did make a military one for my hubby but he won't even use it.....says he likes the way it looks on the back of the couch!. I need to make something for my bed.