Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is a quilt? >
  • What is a quilt?

• What is a quilt?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I was recently told VERY FIRMLY that a quilt that is tied is not a quilt at all, it's a "coverlet". I thought that was really weird, and it doesn't jive with this article.
    I've always been under the impression a 'coverlet' is a smaller cover, which doesn't hang down as far as a blanket, quilt, or bedspread . . . thus the name coverLET.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

This whole discussion made me think of the "quilted" Northern toilet tissue!

Remember the ads where they had ladies "quilting" it with knitting needles? (I kind of wish they would have kept the ad! Made me snicker every time I saw it!)

To a certain extent this discussion is similar to:

A cat is a mammal -
    A mammal may or may not be a cat.

A bed cover can be any number of things - a sheet, a blanket, a quilt, a duvet

In my mind - A blanket is something that covers - so a quilt can also be called a blanket (in my house.)

I think the only time that it matters what an item is called (or defined as) is when one is entering an item in a competition.
    Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

well, I am going to make a few "Florida Quilts", meaning they won't have batting and I am
    still going to call them quilts.
    I'm doing this for comfort, not a show, so it's my call
    Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 AM

I don't think that there is one definition that you would manage to get everyone to agree on!

To me personally, a quilt is an item used in the same way as a blanket, but a quilt has been patchworked together from fabric and (often, but by no means always) consists of 3 layers.

I personally would not call an item made to be a tablecloth a quilt - I'd call it a tablecloth. Or a quilted tablecloth if I was feeling fancy

BUT that is my definition. You get to have your own definition. And it is just as valid as mine or anyone else's.

There is no universally acknowledged 'correct' in this circumstance. Although there will always be people on hand to tell you that there is, and it happens to coincide with their opinion!!
    Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas
    The quilt group I belong to thinks the only " real" quilt is hand quilted....( they are also staunch members of the quilt police).
    I'd be running AWAY from that group.
    Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 AM

I am still curious why you asked if it's a quilt? Are you making it for a show?
    Old 07-23-2014, 06:02 AM

Good discussion. Perhaps this: A quilt is a cover made of two or more layers of (generally) fabric fastened together.

My grandmother made quilts the old fashioned way: out of worn out clothing that was saved for the purpose. It didn't matter what kind of fabric either. I remember a lot of polyester in her quilts. I'm not sure if she ever bought fabric. She also tied them with yarn. When I was growing up all I remember seeing are tied quilts. My mother made hers even simpler. She serged the edges of two sheets together with batting in the middle and tied them. It didn't make them any less comfortable and the people she gave them to seemed to like them.

I like making things hard on myself so I'm piecing mine together and will stitch the layers together. I am using a machine though so maybe by some definitions mine won't be real either.
    Rodney
    Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mousie
    well, I am going to make a few "Florida Quilts", meaning they won't have batting and I am
    still going to call them quilts.
    I'm doing this for comfort, not a show, so it's my call
    Mousie, your 'batting' will be an airy layer of love!