Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What quilting design would work best?????? >
  • What quilting design would work best??????

• What quilting design would work best??????

Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
    Power Poster

Love all of your work!! I am a newbie at the quilting aspect, but I am sure that you will get many more suggestions as the day goes on....you will have many to choose from :D :D :D
    Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM

also,
    Originally Posted by Jared
    Oh, I didn't realize that stitching 1/4" from the seams would be so hard in a frame. Now that I know though, I definitely agree with Butterflywing. Ot looks like you have put a lot of work into the piecing so it might be better to save this for when you are more confident.

Also, I'm sure this would look incredible with hand stitching 1/4" from the seams. I don't have the skill or patience for that, but it seems like you do.
    the reason it (and sid) is hard is that you don't have the same control as when you're working close to the needle. also, here, there's nothing under the fabric to stabilize it, so the fabric kind of bounces up and down. keeping event lines is harder until you get a feel for it. i would start on simpler quilts without curves.
    Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM

It's beautiful!! If you know the name of the pattern, try going to webshots or photobucket and doing a search by the name. I've done that for a redwork quilt layout and found lots of ideas.
    Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Great info. As far as the layout, I change it up everytime a finish another block, so, no this is not the final layout. By the way, I have changed it four times today. I don't think I want sashing on this one. I want the curvers to stand. I think I will be putting it on point, I like the looks of it better. So, if I put it on point, there well be solid blocks around the edges. At least this is what I am think so far, but, that could change tomorrow. Any ideas.
    I got the blocks on the web, they are called New York Beauty, but, I am calling mine: spiked with color.
    Keep sending ideas, I am loving all the information.

p.s. You might be right about hand quilting it and not taking my chances with the frame.

Sandy
    Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM
    Power Poster

Maybe you could load the frame with some fabric and batting and practice here and there on your FMQ inbetween piecing... :wink:
    Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 PM

those blocks are called new york beauty. it's odd, isn't it, that no matter how different they are from each other, they're still all called the same name? traditionally, they are not separated by sashing. imo, that's what gives it it's
    contemporary interest. it's wonderful.

btw, i love it's new name :wink: .
    Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    those blocks are called new york beauty. it's odd, isn't it, that no matter how different they are from each other, they're still all called the same name? traditionally, they are not separated by sashing. imo, that's what gives it it's
    contemporary interest. it's wonderful.

btw, i love it's new name :wink: .
    Here's a link to the different blocks. It's interesting to see different ones together. It's been on my "to do" list for awhile. Hopefully I will be able to get to some after Christmas. :) http://www.lenzula.com/pattern/free/nyb.php I don't know if you can get close enough to see the quilting though. Maybe elsewhere on her site.
    Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 AM

You are asking for help from us????????? You are already a master. and whatever you do will be wonderful Keep on quilting girl!
    Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 AM

Thanks so much for your kind words on my quilting skills, but, I am in NO way a master. I just like to create and sew. I wish I was a master at the quilting part, that's where I get timid and a bit intimadated. Sad there isn't a easy button for that. lol Just need a lot more pratice.

As far as sewing goes, I have been doing that part for years and love it. Just a quick look at what I do other than quilting.
    I own Hawghugger Leather and I make motorcycle leathers. A lot of what I make is custom work and my creativity comes out full bore. As you can see, I love color.
    Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 AM

Sorry, pics didn't come through.

One of my favs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]44688[/ATTACH]

Another fav of the set for a former U.S. Soldier
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]44689[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-13333.jpe   attachment-44688.jpe   attachment-44689.jpe