Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What ruler set do you recommend? >
  • What ruler set do you recommend?

• What ruler set do you recommend?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:23 PM
    Power Poster

Carol, that's why we ask questions!
    Just be sure you get the correct ruler foot for your machine. They have high, medium, and low shank.
    I'm having fun experimenting with rulers.
    Keep asking away!

PS> To get a feel for how they work go to Youtube. Lots of tutorials.
    Old 05-29-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Rotary cutting rulers or rulers for the ruler foot on domestic sewing machine? Also if you are asking about rulers for your ruler foot, which type of machine and ruler foot do you have? There are different rulers for different ruler feet.

As long as you have a ruler foot you can use any of the rulers made for doing ruler work. You do not need to buy multiple ruler feet to use different brands of rulers.

Rob
    Old 05-29-2019, 02:50 PM

Carol, I also have the Pfaff 4.2 and it actually is a medium shank. For just getting started, I would suggest the Westalee Rulers Starter Set. This set includes the ruler foot and useful, simple ruler. It can be ordered through various websites, two that I might recommend are Sewsteady. com or Amyquilts. com. Amyquilts has lots of ruler /freemotion videos on Facebook and YouTube. Any company you buy from should ask for your machine name and version to confirm that you are getting the correct foot. From there you will find a wealth of information online and hopefully some in person classes. I started with the Westalee set and then have added angela walters and more Westalee rulers.
    Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 PM
    Power Poster

rryder, there is another slightly different ruler foot and rulers made by Farrell. They have YouTube videos under Farrell’s Country Stitchin.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:35 PM

rryder, there is another slightly different ruler foot and rulers made by Farrell. They have YouTube videos under Farrell’s Country Stitchin.

Tartan. I was thinking of ordering some of these. Do you have them? Do you have the mini foot and templates or the the templates for a regular size ruler template? What do you think of them?
    Old 05-30-2019, 04:32 AM
    Power Poster

I was looking at them but they looked harder to manage since you have to follow a channel. I really like the Angela Walters rulers and my Bernina set for my Bernina ruler foot so I didn’t order them.
    Old 05-30-2019, 05:06 AM

Quilters Select is the best IMHO. The grip to the fabric is fabulous! I have used many different rulers over the last 30 years and these are the ones that out rank all the others. If I had to buy only one it would be the 24"x6" one. Kind of pricey. Worth the money!
    Old 05-30-2019, 05:15 AM

I really love and use my Westalee starter set. I love them so much that I got a set for my longarm, too.
    Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 AM
    Power Poster

I was looking at them but they looked harder to manage since you have to follow a channel. I really like the Angela Walters rulers and my Bernina set for my Bernina ruler foot so I didn’t order them.
    Tartan, So can you use Angela's on your Bernina? I just got a 770 and need the foot for that machine.
    Old 05-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Wow! There was lots of information gleaned from you ladies. Thank you all for the advice and sites recommended. I'll be in research mode for awhile.