Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what scissors do you like >
  • what scissors do you like

• what scissors do you like

Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 AM

I would like to buy my daughter in law a pair of scissors for Christmas... any suggestions as to what is best. Joann's has a wonderful sale right now. My DIL is not a quilter... more of a crafter and seamstress at this point... Any help is greatly appreciated. Quilter 1234
    Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
    Power Poster

Ginghers are wonderful.

There are so many models available - what do you think she would be cutting?

(They work well on paper, too, if she does a lot of scrap-booking -but most people CRINGE at the idea of a Gingher touching paper)

For snipping threads, I'm now using nail scissors.
    Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Ginghers are the best, but then I've never met a scissor I didn't like. I have about 200 pairs.
    Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM

I know this won't help --- but I like my scissors that my grandmother bought over 60 yrs ago --- from Germany. They're STILL good!
    Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM

DH bought me a new pair of Gingher scissors a couple years ago-they ones with the gold handle. I love them. I had Mundial before that and they were great too. The Mundials needed to be sharpened though, and I don't know where to take them. The last time I had it done, they came back the same as how I sent them (I think it was a barber shop that time).
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 AM

another vote for Gingher scissors
    go for a pair that are comfortable to use
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 AM

I've seen signs at JoAnns about knife/scissor sharpening on certain date. Call you local JoAnns & ask if they have this service.

I'm still using my Ginghar sewing scissors from the 60's. I think my small scissors for snipping threads while quilting & cupping applique pieces with Steam n' Seam attached is a Mundal.

Originally Posted by gale
    DH bought me a new pair of Gingher scissors a couple years ago-they ones with the gold handle. I love them. I had Mundial before that and they were great too. The Mundials needed to be sharpened though, and I don't know where to take them. The last time I had it done, they came back the same as how I sent them (I think it was a barber shop that time).
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM

A total Gingher fan here. I have the pinking shears and Julia 8" knife edge dressmaker's shears and I LOVE them. Also have multiple pairs of Mundials which are very comfortable for me to use too.
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
    I've seen signs at JoAnns about knife/scissor sharpening on certain date. Call you local JoAnns & ask if they have this service.

I'm still using my Ginghar sewing scissors from the 60's. I think my small scissors for snipping threads while quilting & cupping applique pieces with Steam n' Seam attached is a Mundal.

Originally Posted by gale
    Ours quit having those. :( They have business cards for someone who sharpens but I haven't tried them out. I got gun shy after the barber thing.
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

I vote for Gingher too - I have the ones with larger finger and thumb holes, because I have big hands, and it's lovely to have the option.

Before that, I always bought Fiskars, but was never able to find anywhere to get them sharpened, and they only seemed to stay sharp for a year or two.