Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what scissors do you use? >
  • what scissors do you use?

• what scissors do you use?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM

i am currently working on some applique pieces, and the thought crossed my mind "am i ruining my scissors?"...i use paper scissors to cut the fusible web paper or steam a seam paper, but after i fuse the fabric on it, i am using my fabric scissors, coz they cut the fabric better and closer to the lines....but am i ruining them by cutting the fusible under the fabric? your input is appreciated....thanks...gina
    Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 AM

I don't really cut out my pieces before I fuse them. I just cut them into rough shapes. I use the Fiskars type scissors for that. There are probably half a dozen pairs of that type of scissors around here. Some that are so dull the only thing they will cut is paper. After I have rough cut shapes fused to my fabric then I use a small pair of Elan scissors to cut them out with. They're serrated and super sharp with a very fine blade.
    Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 AM

I like using the fiskars soft touch. I use my fabric scissors to cut out anything that has been fused to fabric and my paper scissors for the rest. But then I am also the only one who uses my paper scissors so they're still pretty sharp.
    Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm partial to Fiskars also. I have several pairs I use. Some for paper, one for fabric....
    Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

i got these relly great ones by MUNDIAL about 12 yrs ago, there starting to wear (read; husband and son snuck them), but they are serrated, you can only feel it if you run your nail over them, they're great, fabs don't slip and i don't know where to get them again, i have two of them, and one pr is over 20 yrs onl cheap ( about $20 each).
    good luck
    Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Clover also makes serrated edge scissors and that is what I use for cutting out my appliques, both fused and non-fused. They come in 3 sizes. I love them!
    Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Ginghers. They're expensive, but I'd rather save up for them than have to replace others. Love the Ginghers.
    Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM

I use my Gingher duckbill applique scissors and they have only been sharpened once in the 10 years I've used them to cut out the fused to fabric shapes.
    Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    i got these relly great ones by MUNDIAL about 12 yrs ago, there starting to wear (read; husband and son snuck them), but they are serrated, you can only feel it if you run your nail over them, they're great, fabs don't slip and i don't know where to get them again, i have two of them, and one pr is over 20 yrs onl cheap ( about $20 each).
    good luck
    You know---there are very few things I will throw a fit about, but my family knows they'd BETTER steer clear of my sewing/quilting tools ;)
    Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shunem
    Ginghers. They're expensive, but I'd rather save up for them than have to replace others. Love the Ginghers.
    I love Ginghers, too. I like the small spring-loaded clippers for machine embroidery. Nice to have for paper-piecing, too.