Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Sewing Machine gave you problems >
  • What Sewing Machine gave you problems

• What Sewing Machine gave you problems

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Personaly I think that any brand can have its ups and downs. I have Three Brothers right now, embroidery that sews also, sewing machine, and serger. I have never had to have one serviced. But then again I have a Kenmore that is from the eightys and as good as new. Just does not have all the newbies on it. I have in the past had Singer and had problems, but I found out at the time that Singer no longer owned it that White did and it was there lower end machine. But like I said in the beginning, it is like a car. It is a hit and miss thing. :D
    Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Wow this is crazy new whites are made in Asia Not all Kenmores are Janome...........Janome is Asia.........You can not mail order a Viking they don't allow it......... some sites say simplicity is from white........ :roll: :roll: :roll:

I did find a nice simplicity called American Quilter SA2400........any comments these are hard to find.....a lot of good reviews when i could find them of simplicity machines
    Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 PM

I don't mean to offend anyone by this remark but……….. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
    Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=200077362100&Category=3118&_trksid=p3907.m29

This is the one i am looking at......from what i have read in reviews price doesn't have much to do with it. A top machine in one brand was 79 dollars............others complained about a 1400 dollar one. You just have to look and read...and find just what you need and then cross your fingers :D :D :D :D
    Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi Ruth...excellent question. I've been sewing for 46 years. My first machine was a 1949 Necchi. Superb machine. Second machine was a 1985 Singer..very good machine. Third machine is a Pfaff..also excellent machine.

Lots of folks have told me they would love to sew if their machine just worked. I ask about their machine and it almost always turns out they or their mom or sister got the machine at some discount store or department store..the $199 to $349 kind. Bottom line; cheap machines aren't worth it.
    If your aim is to just run up a hem now and then, or make a pair of curtains...it's ok. But even half-way serious sewing needs a good machine.
    So don't skimp...it's a waste of money.
    Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Hi Ruth. I have a pfaff and love love love it. I have had no problems with it other then the odd adjustment due to my running over pins.

I love the IDT. Its great.

When looking for a machine, I made a list of what I wanted. did I want needle up/down, auto cut off. One touch reverse. among other things.
    I'm sure your in for many answer to this question. I found the list really helped me in my decision. My Pfaff is now 8 years old, and I still love it.

I did have an Elna, lets just say, I'm glad its gone, and I will never purchase another.

But like everyone, some machine are good for you and some arn't

Good luck in your search and the final decision.

Karen
    Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM

I learned as a child on my mom's old singer. I love the older singers, and will go out of my way to buy one, or to let mom know where one is. I bought a singer when we lived overseas, because the one my mom gave me siezed up (probably high humidity). It was a piece of do-do. I got to where I wouldn't even sew, because it was giving me trouble. I finally let my husband know I really hate it, and that is when I got my refurbished Bernina. I absolutely love it. It is a little bernette, and I still sew all sorts of stuff on it all the time. Hope this helps!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 AM

Ruth - that is very similar to the machine I have. I think the one you were looking at might be a step or two up from mine even. Here's a link to the exact machine I have:

http://www.sewshop.com/Simplicity-quilters_classic_sw240.htm

My machine also came with the table attatchment. Like I said I've had it for a year now and I love it. I have two small children, so I'm on a budget, and this was what I could afford at this point int my life. I'm so happy, I can't complain one bit, so far I've had no problems. When I first brought the machine home my 1/4 inch foot broke, and I went online to Simplicity.com and within three days I recieved a replacement at no cost to me. The service was excellent, all they required was a serial number and my address.
    Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM

I learned to sew on her Viking and always felt like the machine would take me with it when I sewed, I joked about the cha-chunk noises it made when it sewed. It died and she bought a Janome that she didn't like, said it wasn't heavy enough to mend my dad's jeans. So I got it, and love, love, love it for quilting. It is one of the first memory craft machines that they made. Mom got a new viking and HATES it for quilting. She has a heck of a time with the 1/4" foot.
    Don't forget about the extra feet. Some brands will cost you an arm and a leg for the walking foot or their special 1/4" foot.
    Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM

My first machine was a Brother that my husband bought me for our 1st christmas in 71, It still works but was very basic, straight stitch. A few years later I bought a used Kenmore with cams for $25.00 that I used up until a few months ago (it works great but is very heavy, I bought a Brother from a resale shop for $40.00 with a cabinent it is pretty basic straight and zig zag but works great. I have a treadle machine but need a belt. I have never had any of them in for repairs. Maybe I was just lucky.