Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What sewing machine would you recommend >
  • What sewing machine would you recommend

• What sewing machine would you recommend

Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 AM

I send you a private message. Click on Notifications on top line to see it
    Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 AM

I'm way too practical, finally. I start with budget and agree with myself to look at good used machines. I make my needs list and a wants list. Over the years I find I really don't need all those fancy stitches that I thought I would one day use.

Then try them all out. Which one do you bond with is the key. For me it was the Pfaff because of the dual feed feature. You might not need that though.
    Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

WOW. I love my Bernina and I really couldn't think of going from that line of sewing machine. Janome sure got a lot of nice reviews. I don't drive so I don't get out often so I have never seen one. Great reviews....
    Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM

ManiacQuilter, what model Bernina do you have? The nearest Janome dealer to me is a three hour drive one-way. We have a Bernina dealer here in our small town. The cost of the bigger Bernina's is just prohibitive though. I am researching the Janome's based on all of your opinions. As one poster said, all of the research can make you crazy!
    Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM

I have a sit down FMQ machine. The decorative stitches are all in my head <LOL> Check out www.Sunshine16.com. The machines are 100% made in the USA. You can get a portable or one with a table. And if you decide at some point to get a regular long arm machine, they sell the frame and handles to change the machine.
    Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM

I also have a Janome MC7700. Love it.
    Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts
    I have sewn for years, am making my first quilt. I have a Bernina 220 which is fantastic for piecing and regular sewing, however, it's too light-weight to quilt on. Stuffing the bulky quilt through the small throat is driving me crazy, plus the feed dogs don't seem strong enough to push the quilt layers through the machine evenly and decorative stitches are skipping or bunching up in knots. My husband offered the idea of a heavy duty machine, but I do want decorative stitches. I have a 2000.00 budget. What make and model would you recommend? I'm fine with a used machine too. Thank you!
    Jackie

I have a Bernina 430 which is heavy duty and you can sometimes find the Bernina 430 or Bernina 440 on ebay for less than $2000. However, this summer I bought a Pfaff Ambition Essential and I love it. It has a built in walking foot and it has a bigger throat space than my Bernina. So you might want to take a look at the Pfaff sewing machines if you are concerned with having a large throat size.